Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1994 accord ex 4 door stock...need more power and better gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Default 1994 accord ex 4 door stock...need more power and better gas mileage

Iwant to start tweaking my accord. My desire is to get better gas mileage and more power. It is stock as of now with a 4 cylinder engine. How do I go about this task without spending an arm and a leg? My car is a 1994 honda accord ex with a 4 cylinder engine. I bought it brand new in 1994.I take meticoulous care of it but now its time for more power, better gas milage and a slightly different look. I dont want to spend an awful lot of money, not trying to make a race car..just a accord with more pep.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1994 accord ex 4 door stock...need more power and better gas mileage

its like asking whats the meaning of life.........

a mod that will increase gas mileage and power, yet not spend alot of money.

the best i can tell you is intake, exhaust, and tune up.

other than that any power mods will hurt gas mileage.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Default RE: 1994 accord ex 4 door stock...need more power and better gas mileage

ok what you are saying makes sense. When I say I dont want to spend a whole lot of money what I am really saying is that I am not trying to make a race car. But I do have a 2002 nissan altima 3.5 v6 and i would like my accord to be able to keep up or maybe surpass that. So as far as a budget I would like to spend a couple of g's and thas about it. Do k@n filter and intakes increase power, and what kind of exhaust would i need to get. I just got a tune up 2 days ago and im running bosch platinum2 plugs, and i also had a tornado installed.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

yeah about that.............those altimas have the VQ35 i believe.........they run a low 14 stock...........

your looking at ALOT of money to get your accord to run a low 14..........we are talking damn near 5-10k depending on what route you take

Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM

ok hmm..now that you say that that might make me change directions jus a lil bit. ok i dont kno how much stock horespower a 94 accord 4 door has but i would like to peobably gain another 50 horse if thats feasible.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

depending on if its a dx lx or ex, its either 145 or 130 to the crank.

50hp would be hard to do without changing some internals. perhaps with intake, exhaust, header, and a more aggressive cam you could gain some decent power.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 AM

it is an ex. well i was going to probably invest in an air intake system and do the exhaust. havent thought about cam and headers and all that but had also thought about reprogramming the computer or getting a chip. dont kno too much about cam and headers. as far as the exhaust goes, i want a good exhaust note without (the rice burner 16 year old daddy bought me a accord and all i got money for is for a loud exhaust that sounds like a wind-up toy) i want it to be suttle and clean. I like sleeper cars. the defintion being it has power but doenst nesscarily look or sound like it but when you get up to it and you get beat by it you go..whoa!! who would have thunk it!!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

yeah as far as actually beating cars go...................drive the altima.

i had intake exhaust on my accord..............and still ran mid to high 16s........

with a lsd tranny i got 16 flat.

now i'm finally in the 14s after a complete motor swap and every bolt on you can get.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 AM

well i kno for sure that i will do the air intake and the exhaust. is getting a chip worth it? i would like 2 spend like between 1,000-3,000 bucks on everything. if i wont be able to beat tha altima thas ok with me. I just want getting on a highway onramp power, or passing power when people are driving too slow in the fast lane, i am going to invest in an r33 bodykit for the appearance.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

chips not really worth it unless you have a somewhat highly modified engine.

for 3k you could piece together a turbo kit and make decent power(prob about 200hp to the crank safely).

Quick Reply: 1994 accord ex 4 door stock...need more power and better gas mileage