Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1997 accord 2.2l for fixup

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:58 AM
Default 1997 accord 2.2l for fixup

Hello all,

I bought a second hand 1997 accord 2.2 in pretty bad shape couple of days ago, that I want to fix up. I will concentrate mostly on interior, but also on the engine some basic things.
First of, I understand pretty much how combustion engine works, but there are details that I don't know, especially in regards to CNG. Did I mention it has CNG ? It does.

Anyway.. the car on idle is working pretty rough, it idles at around 400 RPM and it oscilates constantly. First day it was idling on around 1300 RPM and also going up and down
constantly. It stutters when accelerating, it's misfiring (at least i think so, from the sound of it when i deaccelerate while the car is in the gear (manual) all kind of sounds
are coming from the exhaust (which is also modified by some wannabe racer boy (previous owner)).

What I'm planning to do in next couple of days to make the engine run smoother:
1. Check spark plugs, cables and replace if needed
2. Get the car to the shop to check ignition timing, and tune it*
3. Replace air filter, fuel filter** and check fuel pump***
4. Check all the cabling and hoses under the hood, and replace

Some general things I will do at the shop:
1. Replace timing belt
2. Check oil, coolant, brakes, suspension, etc

* = Does ignition timing, spark plugs and/or cables change when CNG is installed ? Or is it supposed to still be at the default, factory settings ?
** = I do not know how CNG works. I'm assuming it's not using fuel filter, so in this case it actually doesn't matter ?
*** = Fuel pump, as as above... I'm assuming CNG does not use the fuel injection pump ? I think when I switched car to the fuel, i heard a strange noise coming from behind the car
and I suspect the fuel pump is on it's way out, but not really important if it's not used while on CNG ?

So my question is mostly related to how CNG works.. and how it affected the car engine in terms of default settings like timing etc, and generally if somebody has any advice
what else should I concentrate on to get this little engine to work as smoothly as possible on CNG and on petrol.

Thank you very much.
Alek