Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1998 LX Broken Timing Belt/Bent Valves

Old 12-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1998 LX Broken Timing Belt/Bent Valves

Hello, about 2 weeks ago my timing belt broke. I had it towed to a shop who suggested 1. Replacing the head-said this would create an issue with the bottom end, and stress it out until it would burn oil. 2. Replace the entire engine, because it had 240K+ miles on it. Both those options would cost between $1100 to $2400.

So I have taken the car to a family friend who is a mechanic. He is saying that he can replace the bent valves, replace the timing belt and install a new head gasket, and we should be good to go?!? He is willing to do the work for cost of parts plus $350 labor. Is this a good deal???

Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

That should be OK. Sorta low probability of damage to valve seats, but he should check for that.

Suggest you have the head machined for a flat surface (avoid headgasket problems later).

Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check with him tomorrow. He doesn't plan to tear it down until Monday.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I wourd recommend the head be rebuilt, new stems seals, reseat all valves, pressure check for cracks, and shave flat as Jim recommends.

Make sure valves are adjusted to specification before startup.

Use OEM or Felpro head gasket kit.

good luck

Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

After further thought...

How was the engine before the belt broke? Burning any oil? Low compression? Anything like that might lead you to get a new engine.

First step (duh) is take off the head. At that point you can evaluate possible damage to the tops of the pistons. In the unlikely chance a valve actually broke (not just bent) look for damage on cylinder walls. And make a decision whether to re-use the block.

I don't know why a new head would cause problems with the bottom end. But if your bottom end is already weak, then take that into consideration.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, I will pick it up later today. The car was in great shape before (no burning oil or other issues.), it has been well maintained. The mechanic says all the exhaust valves bent. Also had to replace the 2 sensors, along with the head and intake gaskets.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So got the car back. It drive way better than before. Still needs a Knock Sensor. I love my Honda!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Thanks for followup.

Could you share w/ us how many miles on this timing belt? First or 2nd Timing belt change?

thanks

Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM

yes thats a good deal. dont pass it up

Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I will be glad to follow-up. The belt that snapped only had 41k miles on it! This car was my wife's car before she got a 2007 Accord. She was religious about the maintenance. So I have all the service records. This is the 3rd timing belt change.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 LX Broken Timing Belt/Bent Valves