Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2005 honda accord ex-l v6 automatic having intermittent start problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Default 2005 honda accord ex-l v6 automatic having intermittent start problems

I have recently bought this 2005 honda accord for my daughter who is in college. it went through inspection with no problems. two days later..it decided to give me problems starting. the first time it happened i had just pulled up to a restaurant and parked on a hill. i went in and got my food to go. when i came out, it took several turns of the key before it finally started. there weren't any sounds that i could hear. the weird part is everything in the car came on.i.e. radio,lights,air etc. at first it would only happen once a day and during the hottest time of the day but now it happens today and maybe not for another couple of days. it is currently at a honda dealer and it had a diagnostic test but there is nothing coming up. they are baffled and are guessing maybe the starter. they think it might be weak or have a short. they ruled out the ignition,main relay, and the recall on the fuel pump was already done. go figure, the car is starting up every time they turn the key. the one time they need it not to start it's doing the exact opposite. they said if it doesn't start that would help them try narrow down the real issue. please help

Old 09-05-2014, 03:50 PM

I hope that wasn't why the previous owner got rid of the car.

Hope the dealer checks the grounds. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

"Fixing" a working car is always hard to do.

Can you give more details about what happens when it won't start up and run? Like you turn the key to start and the starter does nothing....the starter spins the engine but it won't fire up and run......the starter spins the engine it runs for a second or two and dies?

Cleaning the cables and having the battery test is always a good idea...an '05, using the law of averages, your are about due for a 3rd battery (about a 5 year life if you are lucky).

Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Thank you poorman212 for replying and trying to help. When I turn the key, the starter/engine does nothing. The electrical in the car turns on I.e. lights,radio,air blows. I don't hear anything.
I had the battery and alternator tested prior to taking it to the shop but they both checked out to be good. The battery is actually new. I had the mechanic at Honda check if it was the switch relay again by checking if there was voltage and he said there was. They are totally baffled as well.

Last edited by philmaine; 09-07-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:54 AM

Thank you Corvair! I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Other than this problem, the car is great. I will have to check on the grounds.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Starting to sound like the starter is going bad.

Again, testing is needed and being that it doesn't happen all the time makes it even more fun.

If you have a volt meter, next time it acts up, check to see if you are getting voltage on the small wire going to the starter solenoid.

Or, not that good of a test but sometimes works. When it is acting up, give the starter a good "smack" with something - the plastic end of a screwdriver, piece of wood or something along those lines.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks again poorman212 for replying. I'm starting to have more confidence that it is the starter then. I wasn't feeling too confident in a "let's just replace the starter and see if that works idea" from the mechanic but with your replies I'm feeling better. I will have to check on that wire or wack it next time it acts up. Lol! I will post when we finally figure the final diagnosis..thanks again!

Old 09-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Well, checking the small wire can tell you more than "it's the starter". I'm just saying that because it sounds like you might be talking yourself into buying a starter without doing the checks.

If (during a non-start episode) you DON'T get voltage at the small wire, then you don't blame the starter. You have to "work upstream" from there & check things like the ignition switch & some interlocks. For example the system that prevents you from starting the engine while the transmission is in Drive or Reverse.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Again, testing is needed and being that it doesn't happen all the time makes it even more fun.
Originally Posted by JimBlake
Well, checking the small wire can tell you more than "it's the starter". I'm just saying that because it sounds like you might be talking yourself into buying a starter without doing the checks.

If (during a non-start episode) you DON'T get voltage at the small wire, then you don't blame the starter. You have to "work upstream" from there & check things like the ignition switch & some interlocks. For example the system that prevents you from starting the engine while the transmission is in Drive or Reverse.
Yes, I'd hate for you to just replace the starter without some more testing. As Jim noted, if there is no voltage, then there are "other" things upstream that it could be.

Jim noted a few and I'll throw in a few more - does the car have an aftermarket alarm or remote start system...there is a starter relay in the OE circuit as well.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:41 PM

I had something similar happen to my car last month it wouldn't start no noise from starter nothing but radio, lights, etc all work fine. my problem was the clutch sensor if its automatic it should have a neutral sensor i'm thinking someone please correct me if i'm wrong. Anyway i took off my starter and broke a piece off and took it to auto zone and they said it was good but i had to buy another since i had broke it and still car didn't start. try that clutch switch or neutral switch

Quick Reply: 2005 honda accord ex-l v6 automatic having intermittent start problems