Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2009 Accord Coupe "Chipping"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2009 Accord Coupe "Chipping"

I have a 2009 Accord Coupe, 4 cylinder, automatic. I was wondering whether anyone knows about chipping engines. Will this void my warranty? Also, I live in Canada, Alberta, Edmonton. I'm trying to find some information on chipping engines, I can't seem to find any reliable information. Could anyone give me any information on chipping my engine. I'm tyring to figure out many extra horsepower I would be getting, and the better mileage i'd be getting. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks guys!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Supper Moderator

you only chip your ECU if you have a good bit of performance mods and are in need of a tune. Chip WILL not give you better MPG nor will it gain ANY power. Yes it will VOID your warranty. You don[t need a chipped ECU. Also you have k series engine in your accord. BIG bucks too...b/c I think you have to go with a EMS. Lookin about a grand for that. So unless you have tons of aftermarket parts and stuff that changes the physics of your engine. Such as cams pistons ect.
So don't bother with this idea...also since your asking about a chipping a ecu means you don't need it.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh thanks for the info. I appreciate it, i've been asking around some other forums and I keep getting answers that keep going back and fourth, most people told me that I would just get a minor horsepower increase but no one has been as specific as you. Do you have any suggestions for me to do something for about $500 or so to increase my power? I know it's only a 4 cylinder, but i'd like to gradualy do minor upgrades without voiding the warranty. I don't have a lot of mechanical expertise. I do appreciate your time. Thanks again!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Trade it in for a 6 cylinder...

Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by dgp1961
Trade it in for a 6 cylinder...
Haha I wish, unfortunately, it's not in my budget. lol

Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Supper Moderator

well for one the 4 cyl will be faster than the 6cyl...so o don't trade it for a v6.
You have 500bucks to spend well...you have a K series so unless you want to tune your car (with a chip..like you asked about) Just buy a CAI and a FULL exhaust. That will eat up your 500bucks. Now if you want to spend some money. Get a CAI intake FULL exhaust a set of cams. Bigger TB and have it port matched. Have you intake manifold ported and GOOD name brand header (not DC sports/megan or ebay crap) Bisi makes some of the BEST headers you can buy for hondas. But they are $$$$$$$$$ but you gain sick power just from his header. Then get you ecu chipped and tuned. But that will be some money to do all that. you lookin around 2k but you will have a nice k24 street accord.

*edit* just noticed you are a auto trans. If you add too much more power than what the engine makes stock...than you will have trans issues. Honda trans don't like much more power than what it makes stock.

Last edited by g22cd5; 01-14-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by g22cd5
well for one the 4 cyl will be faster than the 6cyl...so o don't trade it for a v6.
You have 500bucks to spend well...you have a K series so unless you want to tune your car (with a chip..like you asked about) Just buy a CAI and a FULL exhaust. That will eat up your 500bucks. Now if you want to spend some money. Get a CAI intake FULL exhaust a set of cams. Bigger TB and have it port matched. Have you intake manifold ported and GOOD name brand header (not DC sports/megan or ebay crap) Bisi makes some of the BEST headers you can buy for hondas. But they are $$$$$$$$$ but you gain sick power just from his header. Then get you ecu chipped and tuned. But that will be some money to do all that. you lookin around 2k but you will have a nice k24 street accord.

*edit* just noticed you are a auto trans. If you add too much more power than what the engine makes stock...than you will have trans issues. Honda trans don't like much more power than what it makes stock.
Excuse my ignorance, but a CAI and full exaust would only cost $500 plus installation? What does a full exhaust include? Would any of this void my warranty with Honda? Once, again, excuse my ignorance, how exactly does a cam improve horsepower/performance. Also, would you be able to reccomend any exaust systems/CAI's? Also, from what I was reading I am unable to put in a header since the engine is bolted straight to the "cat" (not sure what the cat is, unless it's the frame?) so there is no header to replace.

Last edited by Deity; 01-17-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Supper Moderator

yes anything you do to your car will void your warranty. I think your can add a CAI and a muffler and that’s I. But I would talk with Honda 1st so you don't bone yourself.
When I mean full exhaust I mean. From the engine to the muffler. You can go to a local exhaust shop have them make you a MANDREL BENT exhaust for around 200bucks. Then find yourself a intake AEM makes good ones also so does Injen. That will be around 200-300bucks. So that’s your 500bucks spent.

Gutting camshaft(s) will have more valve lift. Home much depends on how much head work you plan on doing. A stage 1 cam will be fine on stock valve train. But anything past that you will need to upgrade valves springs act in the head.
A Cold Air Intake makes power because you are allowing more air into the engine. Also you are sucking up COLD dense air that will expand in the engine. Pretty much the more air you can add the more fuel then you make ore power.
The exhaust makes power by letting the exhaust gasses escape faster.
"cat" is a catalytic converter. The cat won't allow all the harmful exhaust fumes to exhausted into our breathing air.
You header will unbolt from your engine head. It has too...if you ever had to do a head swap you would never get the head out of the engine bay with the header down pipe and ca still all attached. Do some more research on that issue. I'm not a K series guy..I know about them but not a whole lot. I'm more of a F/H series guy...but everything I have suggested to you applies to any Honda

Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate all the information you've supplied me! It's really helped me out. Thanks!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Supper Moderator

anytime thats what we are here for

Quick Reply: 2009 Accord Coupe "Chipping"