Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   4cyl inline upgrade VS V6 swap (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/4cyl-inline-upgrade-vs-v6-swap-16459/)

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 02-26-2008 11:52 PM

4cyl inline upgrade VS V6 swap

Hola!HELLO!HI and all that good stuff lol

OK lets get down to business, i'm rolling in a 99 accord with a 4 cylinder ULEV engine...YEAH I KNOW pathetic...lol 150 HP

My goal is 300 HP..

Anyways, recently i did some research and i'm stuck between to things and i need someone's opinion I'm interested in eitherswapping my auto transmission on my 4 cyl for a manual, swapping my cylinder heads for the H22 cylinder heads(if its possible),placing a flywheel and clutch, placing a turbo manifold, new exhaust system, and placing a turbo on the engine...

OR

Swapping in a J32A2 engine and transmission seeing how the output will be close to 300 already, i figured a new exhaust system should keep kicking in all the power i want and need...BUT i've been hearing falses creeds that since my accord is a 4 cylinder,V6 engines will not fit.. I just want to know what would benefit me more...Doing swap 1 or swap 2...ALSO if ANYONE HAS EVER DONE A SUCCESSFUL J32A swap into a sixth generation accord PLEASE let me know AND IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE just let me know... well thanks you guys let me know your opinions on this subject..

02BlueAccord 02-27-2008 09:22 AM

RE: 4cyl inline upgrade VS V6 swap

im not a pro on engine swaps but i would do the first one. it might be more money. but in the long run the H22 is endless with upgrades as ppl say. and i think i read somewhere that u can put in the J32 its just not a perfect fit. i might be wrong tho. wait for someone more pro on swaps to answer the question

02BlueAccord 02-27-2008 09:29 AM

scratch the j32. i was thinking of the J30A1 which is the v6 in our years car.

89dxlame 02-27-2008 04:12 PM

turbo 4 bangers can easily produce 300hp. exhaust on the v6 wont increase hp by THAT much might have to mod a little more to get 300 hp. just get forged internals on a 4cyl. high boost plus big injectors. done

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 02-27-2008 07:40 PM

actually i know that exhaust doesnt do anything but add and I QUOTE the SOUND of power....but not power itself..look thing is, im not really into racing but im a speedster...and if i am racing...its like random ppl at a stop light or somethin...thats whyi was thinking maybe i'd drop a V6 in the bay and leave everything stock except the fuel system and exhaust and call it a day...seeing how the J32A2 is kicking around 260 HP i figured what the heck why not...most of these cars im running into are stock anyways and are usually heavy cars like grand prix's,chargers, magnum's mustangs...the whole point is is that i just want more power and it looks the J32A2 does exactly that for me...plus i heard the performance on that engine IS SWEET...i heard its so silent sometimes you wondering if the car is still on(thats with stock exhaust of course)...but the main thing i want to know is if a V6 is able to drop in the bay of my accord seeing how its a 4 cyl inline...some people say yes some people say no...i just wish i could find ONE person who's done this swap and i need feedback on it!

superballz00 02-27-2008 09:10 PM

First off how much are you planning to spend? Even if the J32A2 does fit I would think that it will cost more to put in than the J30A1 since the J32A2 is an Acura engine whereas the J30 is an Accord engine. IMO going with a V6 would be better since it is really hard for any 4cyl to make up all the torque the V6 has over it. Also you won't have to mod the V6 as much so there is less chance that something will break. But note that although the accord is lighter than most cars, it is front wheel drive. If you go up against a RWD car that is a little heavier at around the same HP and torque then it's up for grabs. The more power an engine has the bigger the difference in acceleration between FWD and RWD.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 02-27-2008 09:57 PM

yeah i know i was thinking the same thing...well the J32A2 and the J30A1 are the same engine EXCEPT there is a HUGE difference in power....200HP(J30A) and the 260(J32A)...as you can see its a good difference..and i've already found a J32A with auto tranny for a 1200...i just don't want to jump into it and find it it dont fit...and yeah its true a FWD does have a better advantage against a RWD especially on slippery terrain cuz it'll take a RWD car longer to catch grip of the terrain while FWD is just a straight shot thru...and trust me i know LOL...you should see how many mustang's try to catch up to me and end up spinning out of control when it just finish raining

superballz00 02-28-2008 01:44 AM

I thought the J32 is different from the J30 since its a 3.2L engine.

BlkCurrantKord 02-28-2008 07:18 AM

The H22 head fits. Search for G23 Vtec. Either of the Jseries motors will fit too, you'll just have to reroute mounts, wiring, fuel lines, etc. So basically, don't even think of it since you have a 4cyl. Many people have done the J32 swap, search www.v6performance.net

Whatever you do....stop racing at stop lights like a tard.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 02-28-2008 08:30 AM

first off the H22A is coming from a vehicle thats lighter then mine DUH!the 6th generation accords are a little heavier then usual and number 2 its not like literally running stop lights they just rev their engine and i always make sure its clear...and of course i know the engine bay would have to be changed around...and besides if the H22A is all you can offer i might as well stay stock because my engine is Vtec right now...

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 02-28-2008 08:34 AM

oh and the J32A2 and J30A1 are the same motor just more power resides in the J32....HENCEFORTH thats why its a 3.2L and the J30 is a 3.0L but as in the visual of them they are similiar motors...its like looking at a H22A anda F20B....there the same design but carry different components and whatever..

BlkCurrantKord 02-28-2008 08:54 AM

You talked about swapping heads...thats why I mentioned the H22 head fits. The F23's SOHC vtec is not the same as the H22's DOHC and if you think they are, don't bother going any further with your modding.

00AccordLX5spd 02-28-2008 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007

...most of these cars im running into are stock anyways and are usually heavy cars like grand prix's,chargers, magnum's mustangs...
Mustangs are not heavy at all. Many weigh about the same as our Accords. Some even weigh less. If you swapped a J32 into your accord (it would probably cost you as much, if not more than just buying a faster car) your Accord would definitely weigh more than most mustangs. You would still lose almost any race to a V8 mustang.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 02-28-2008 10:53 PM

yeah i kinda figured out the H22 is obviously not the same...i give you credit on that...and to the other one on the mustang im not a street racer i just want performance..i am seriously not feeling the H.P and Torque from my stock engine...its not giving me what i want..i just want power,precision,handling....yet again my goal is not even much...300 H.P is enough for me cuz i don't even drive like that to be honest...my accord is rolling on 53,000 miles...i just go to school and back and then work and back and maybe go out once in a blue moon on a weekend..bottom line i'm not trying to outdo anyone i just want more out of my accord i seriously know that accord has extreme potential...more potential then people give it credit for...people always sayin i'm better off selling it and getting a faster car well i got 2 words for them F*** you....i love my accord...so should i just swap in a V6(J32A2 or J30A1)OR just settle for a H22A

03Sleeper 03-02-2008 03:08 PM

Turbo'd i4 can easily reach 300 HP...but will suffer from massive differential between horse and torque.

If you have the money...go for the v6...then turbo it. ;)

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-02-2008 10:44 PM

see my thing is with that is that people miss the concept of turbo...i mean you don't just strap on a turbo and call it a day...you have to make sure that engine is running good and such so i'm not trying to deal with that all stress...the V6 is perfect for my concept and needs

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-02-2008 10:49 PM

of course its a huge difference...r u really trying to compare a J32A2 to a F23A when it comes to turbo??

falkore24 03-03-2008 02:54 PM

who did you steal that signature from??? you max out your HP at 7300 rpm??? seems a bit high for a J-series

BlkCurrantKord 03-03-2008 05:01 PM

^ LOL - I was kinda wondering the same thing. His manner and speaking don't add up to being able to put that combo together.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 07:57 AM

truth is i did the engine swap way before...since im new to this thing i was trying to see if you people are even worth me wasting my time on...and of course the only tuner i have found worth actually wasting my breath is Blkcurrant...none of you know what you guys are talking about..im not some newbie on a corner...i've done the swap and boost before...matter of fact this is my third car im coming across that i have tuned up.and none of you answered the simple question...it was either yes it will fit or no..not this other crap you talking...well at least i know now who's opinion to take and who's not.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 08:00 AM

my mistake its not only blkcurrant i give credit to...there are about two or three other people that actually know what the hell they talking about.

falkore24 03-04-2008 10:52 AM

I think you are full of $h!+

BCK is very knowledgable, granted, but to dis on everyone else is wrong and just plain dumb. Unless you have a stand alone ECU and custom camshafts, the signature that you posted isn't even possible.

What you are telling us is that this thread was a trick to see what people would post ..... aka trolling. As a result, I am asking our moderators and admin to keep an eye on you for additional reasons to ban you from our FRIENDLY community.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 01:43 PM

see if i care.you can believe what ever you wanna believe but i know what i'm pushing and i got statistics printed out to prove it, now otherwise unless you wanna put your pink slip where your mouth is i suggest you mind your business and keep it moving along.i won't start trouble unless you do

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 01:47 PM

I am sorry to lose my temper like that but i have a serious problem with people telling me i'm a liar...i'd rather you just ask me questions or whatever but don't sit here and tell me what is possible and not possible aight.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 02:35 PM

so far these are all the mod's i can remember ok...its been a year and a half

OBX catback exhaust
K&N high performance intake
Flowmaster heat treated exhaust headers
Flywheel & clutch(my accord is a 6 speed)
High flow valve body
transmission cooling system
polyutherane bushing kit
upper & lower tubular control arms
traction bars
racing torque damper
20LB nitrous bottle
Nitrous pressure controller
Direct port NOS kit
Toyo racing tires
brake cooling kit
high performance piston calipers
Stage 2 supercharger
thats all i remember ok....and i left the body stock but i change the headlights,taillights,placed 18's and got a green HID kit because the car is dark green...now do your research

accrd94ex 03-04-2008 02:54 PM

ok HPjunkie show us some videos lets see your dyno runs and lets see your car with all that stuff you mentioned

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 03:35 PM

you say it like its an issue.ok i will. as soon as i get a camera and a homeboy to tape it!i don't understand why ya stressing me on this situation...i thought this forum was just hardy fun and giggle giggle and whatever i'll see if i can get a camera!

BlkCurrantKord 03-04-2008 06:24 PM

I'm going to make the following statement:

I know more about the F series and 4cyl's a lot more than the v6s' but I do know enough to spot BS. With that said...let's continue...

so far these are all the mod's i can remember ok...its been a year and a half

OBX catback exhaust
K&N high performance intake
1. Flowmaster heat treated exhaust headers
Flywheel & clutch(my accord is a 6 speed)
2. High flow valve body
3. transmission cooling system
4. polyutherane bushing kit
5. upper & lower tubular control arms
6. traction bars
7. racing torque damper
20LB nitrous bottle
Nitrous pressure controller
Direct port NOS kit
Toyo racing tires
8. brake cooling kit
9.high performance piston calipers

10.Stage 2 supercharger

thats all i remember ok....and i left the body stock but i change the headlights,taillights,placed 18's and got a green HID kit because the car is dark green...now do your research
Flowmaster does not make headers for the v6. They do make a header for the 4cyl under the name Airmass.

Valve Body? Do you have a v8 with auto trans? You stated above that you have a 6spd, manual trans don't have valve body's.

Transmission Cooling System? As in a tranny cooler? With a 6spd I really can't see you having super high trans temps, maybe if it were still an auto.

5-7 are just so far out there I'm not gonna bother.

Brake cooling kit? As in what, some air ducts from the front bumper pointed over the rotors? Do a lot of track racing? Didn't think so.

High perf calipers could be true, but I'm just gonna call BS for the hell of it.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 06:33 PM

Really?ok whatever you say.because obviously you've come across every mod there is right?

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 06:36 PM

you know what.let the video speak for itself.i obviouslycant explain it to a insubordinate simpleton such as yourself.

marbro 03-04-2008 07:49 PM

you know what.let the video speak for itself.i obviouslycant explain it to a insubordinate simpleton such as yourself.
sorry..... i have to chime in just cause of that word..... i dont care who someone is... how much money they have..... or even what they actually..... this is the internet..... you are not in charge or responsible for anyone but yourself... there is no existance of insubordination in this happy digital world..... and this is not the military..... there may be some people who are on this forum are apart of the military..... but chatting it up here does not designate that anyone is responsible for national security or protection.... it is just a simple forum for stating opinion and knowledge on a subject while showing a certian level of mutual respect and understanding of others and their opinion/view/etc whatever they may be.... which means insubordinate is a word that cant be applied to this place..... basically what im trying to say is just cause someone doesnt believe you based on what they know doesnt mean try to prove youre a bigger 8====D

thank you ^_^

stevent 03-04-2008 08:09 PM

So is there a video of your car to validate your claim? If so, who made those custom mounts for you? Please don't just search websites such as youtube or something because more than likely, I've already seen those clips which would belong to some members on a different board.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 09:09 PM

i'm done here.

stevent 03-04-2008 09:14 PM

^ whoa, we're just asking for proof, you can't provide any but "just talk" then we have nothing to base it on besides what you say.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 10:30 PM

i know but what's the point.i won't win either way with you guys, you guys don't even seem to accepting...i just wanted to learn more and just meet people with the same love and interest i do...tuning up...but there you guys win..so i'll leave the forum becuz something tells me you guys have just placed judgement upon me which i dont feel i deserve thanks anyways.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-04-2008 10:37 PM

sorry to marbro,stevent,BlkCurrantKord and some other of you....truth is is that my signature is my goal i want to achieve...im really rolling on a F23A4 automatic,performance intake,OBX muffler with a straight pipe(no catback), hi flow headers,racing spark wires....i just don't want no one thinking im a ricer because i'm saving up for an engine swap but when Blkcurant started giving me attitude it kinda ticked me off but that was childish of me...now i know ya probaly already saying yuh i'm a ricer but i'm not...i know what my goal is i just need someone knowledgable to help give me out...i hope you guys are willing to give me another chance i would really like to get to know everyone and stuff...you guys are pretty knowledgable but alright i'll get going.and sorry again...

stevent 03-04-2008 11:19 PM

No one is going to talk trash on you if what is in your sig is your goal. That's all you needed to do instead of making us believe or making yourself pose like you have that swap. There are only a handful of j32 swapped 6th gens.
If you really wanted a j32 swap, it will cost a lot and you will need to do some drastic modifications to your engine bay just to make it work. Might as well trade in your 4 banger and get a v6.

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-05-2008 07:43 AM

yeah alot of people keep saying that..i found the J32A2 with transmission for 1100...i was thinking of placing the H22A but somebody told me they did the swap and they weren't too happy...

HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007 03-05-2008 07:48 AM

i estimate that i'll spend about 2000 if i manage to get that deal for 1100...i found a guy who actually charges by the hour instead of just one flat rate...and i estimated the tiem it would take it shouldnt take no more then a 2 days the most and in the end i estimate 600 to maybe 900 i heard this rumor about this other guy in my town that only works on honda and acura's so they said he'd be more lenit towards the price of the swap

BlkCurrantKord 03-05-2008 08:14 AM

Ha..now I know you are just some punk teenager who's seen what other people do, has no idea himself, and so trolls forums talking smack about a car he doesnt have.

And mods I haven't heard of? Dude, I'm 25 yrs old, I don't think there is a mod I haven't heard of unless it something cosmetic which doesnt interest me at all or some finite(sp?) engine building skill.

Where's the vid?