7th gen manual transmissions - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

Default 7th gen manual transmissions

So I have searched and searched for this but cannot find anything.

Is the manual transmission in the 2.4L and the 3.0L the same and or compatible?

I have a car that is in really good shape. It is High mileage. not showing any problems but I figure if I start building an engine now, I may be finished by the time the car needs a new one. (it would be a slow project for me).

I have a 2.4L and have owned a 3.0L in the past. I dont mind the 2.4 at all but if it is a simple drop in to put the 3.0 in I may look into building one of those instead.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
So I have searched and searched for this but cannot find anything.

Is the manual transmission in the 2.4L and the 3.0L the same and or compatible?

I have a car that is in really good shape. It is High mileage. not showing any problems but I figure if I start building an engine now, I may be finished by the time the car needs a new one. (it would be a slow project for me).

I have a 2.4L and have owned a 3.0L in the past. I dont mind the 2.4 at all but if it is a simple drop in to put the 3.0 in I may look into building one of those instead.
I'm like 95% sure the transmissions are not compatible; sorry.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 PM

cool, figured as much but thought it was worth a shot. anyone know about dropping a 3.0 w/ transmission into a car that was originally 2.4
Old 02-22-2018, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
cool, figured as much but thought it was worth a shot. anyone know about dropping a 3.0 w/ transmission into a car that was originally 2.4
Why would you want to even consider such a swap?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 PM

the 3.0 makes so much more power. If I go through with the build it will just be a toy at that point.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
the 3.0 makes so much more power. If I go through with the build it will just be a toy at that point.
Instead of swapping the I4 automatic transmission for the V6 transmission, it would be better/faster/cheaper to convert the car to the 5-Speed manual transmission meant for the I4 engines. The two benefits is your car will have a REAL transmission as well as a transmission capable of reliably transmitting much more power to the street.

It's funny because I am a staunch advocate of not doing Auto-to-Manual conversions.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 PM

I have the I4 with a manual tranny. I want to keep it manual.

regardless of what engine goes in it would for sure be a manual transmission to go with it. I am just trying to see how realistic it would be to go to a 3.0. whether that be an engine swap or an engine and tranny swap. If it will bolt up easily.

If it would be too much customization I may just have to settle for an overbuilt k24 with possible turbo.

I have a buddy who is a certified honda mechanic so the engine build install wouldnt be difficult in that regard. But he is not one of these mad mechanic completely custom builds guy. I am not either. if it gets too much into fab work its out of my league.

Last edited by neophyte; 02-22-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have the I4 with a manual tranny. I want to keep it manual.

regardless of what engine goes in it would for sure be a manual transmission to go with it. I am just trying to see how realistic it would be to go to a 3.0. whether that be an engine swap or an engine and tranny swap. If it will bolt up easily.

If it would be too much customization I may just have to settle for an overbuilt k24 with possible turbo.

I have a buddy who is a certified honda mechanic so the engine build install wouldnt be difficult in that regard. But he is not one of these mad mechanic completely custom builds guy. I am not either. if it gets too much into fab work its out of my league.
It isn't realistic at all; I looked up the parts, they don't even remotely bolt up.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:10 AM

cool. just stick with the 2.4 then. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:03 PM

Are there any manuals out there with the specs for building the k24a4? torque specs, piston ring gap specs, etc. technical stuff like that?