Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

91 honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Default 91 honda accord

I need some help with my 91 honda accord. When the car is idling, the headlights goes dim. It sounds like it is going to cut off. Sometimes when I start the car, the radio goes on and off. Sometimes the belts slips, when I start the car. I don't have any problems starting the car. Do anyone knows why it does this? I need to know how can I fix this. Will changing the alternator fix the problem? Will a leaking exhaust cause this? Also I am planning on upgrading the exhaust and getting a cold air intake. Any suggestions. I don't want to spend alot of money on the car.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Default RE: 91 honda accord

if the belt is slipping a little bit then my guess is that it's not turning the alternator properly, either the belt is old and glazed/cracked and needs replaced or it's loose, inspect the belt and see if it feels really hard/looks kind of shiney or glazed, check for cracks as well, if any of those conditions exist then replace it, if not then adjust the belt/tighten it, and underdriven alternator could cause most if not all of the issues you mentioned

Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Thanks Sir Nasty, Igota new belt about two years ago. It really didn't work then. I had to constantly tighten the belts. I am tempted to get an new alternator or a new pulley. Maybe the alternator is good, it just needs a new pulley and belt. I don't know, I consider myself mechanically inclined but I am at wits end with this. I forgot to mention that I replaced the distributor about a month ago.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:04 PM

a local autoparts store should be able to test the alternator output but I don't think that's your problem, I'd bet that based on the fact you've had to re-adjust that belt a few times it's a piece of crap.... replace it and tighten a new one to the proper specs and then you should idle better (more consistent spark) and your headlights won't dim etc... Call honda parts warehouse (link on the right) and ask them how much a new OEM belt is