Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

92 Accord LX engine block questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question 92 Accord LX engine block questions

Hi everyone, I am new here and have a question.
Backstory-> 1992 Honda Accord LX (stock), bought new by me in Dec 91' and has 297k. I believe it is an H22A1, but it's at the machineshop right now. Leant to sister for two years while in Japan for Navy and she blew a head-gasket and had some local guy replace it (horrible work that didn't last 12k!). So I pulled the engine & transmission to check the whole thing out and clean all the oil, etc after verifying the head-gasket. Sent the block, crank, pictons/rods and main-bearing caps/bridge to my local engine shop to have them cleaned and check all the specs. Still don't know anything yet but will soon. I am doing a COMPLETE stock rebuild so I can keep it another 19+years!!
QUESTION-> So I have heard from another engine shop that the engine for my car has a special coating on the cylinder walls (they called it something like "nickafill") and you cannot just hone them or you will screw it up. IS THIS TRUE?? (I would like to replace the pistons and rings since the skirts appear scuffed and the walls shiny).
ALSO-> I have seen in the forums something called "frm", or "frm sleeves"... is this what they are talking about?
What can you tell me?? I am used to just pulling an engine and having it machined (no worries) and reassembling it with no problems, but this is concerning me greatly since I cannot afford to do this twice and hate redoing anything.
I appreciate you assistance and guidance on this, I REALLY love my Honda!!!!! She's been with me all over North America, on several islands in the Atlantic ocean and as far away as Hawaii for a few years. (REAL trooper!)
Thanks again, Dan

Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome newbie!
Just for grins, it's NIKASIL and I don't think your engine has it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

Other people around here will be better to answer your real questions about sleeving the block.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Appreciate the insight and info Jim. I guess I might have to actually call Honda on this one? Not a common question I'm sure. Just have to make dead sure before I have them do the work and possibly cost me.
I agree with you though, I think this engine and car would not have needed/warranted the cost.
Thanks again, Dan

Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Supper Moderator

ok if you do truly have a h22 swap than yes you have "FRM" sleeves. They are strong and light but they do need a special hone. Can't just do a cross hatch like in b series engines. You will need to take it to a shop who knows how to hone a FRM sleeved engine. Honda is not the only one who has their sleeves. BMW Porsche and Toyota are a few that are popping in my head at the moment. Just make sure you take the h22 block who knows Honda engines. If not you will end up with a F-ed up engine block and might need to re-sleeve the block depending on how bad they notched your cyl walls.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

So what are FRM sleeves? Now I'm curious.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Supper Moderator

old timers call them waved metal. FRM = Fiber Reinforced Metal. They are lighter and cool quicker. But need a special piston in the cyl. They only used the FRM sleeves in performance engines really.

Here is some good info Jim
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2196081

Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I've had to check out some of that material for ...um... something at work...

Didn't realize the same thing here. There's plenty of accronyms in auto that don't mean the same thing that they do in my other life.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks guys! I appreciate the quick info turnaround. My 92 Accord's F22A1 obviously doesn't have this stuff so that's fine with me since it's my dailydriver.
I'm open to any advice for great places to buy a rebuild kit that comes with all seals, gaskets, piston heads, water pump and oil pump. I would also like to replace the clutch-kit and aged/failed AC system pump, drier and evap. Been checking on this forum, ebay and websearches but am always open to advice and suggestions from the experienced.
By the way, even though my engine is stock (now bored .020" over), I've spent the last three weeks taking a few hours a day and stripping the entire engine bay, wiring harnesses, etc and cleaning, rewrapping, waxing, touch-up painting and wire-wheeling clean all components and surfaces... should I post a few pics for amusement? I can take some good ribbing about me and my car. (ha ha!)
Thanks again guys!
Dan

Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Better yet, write a nice thread about all you did, with pictures, like a set of instructions for others to use. We can put that into the DIY section.