Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

99 accord tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Default 99 accord tranny issue

my wife has a 99 accord 3.0l auto that is having issues with shifting into gears. i believe the transmission code is something like b7XA? correct me if im wrong on this. when the car is cold it runs fine but when it warms up the transmission dose not want to shift into 3rd, 4th, and reverse. it is also slipping in first and second. when i drove it yesterday i was in 4th doing 65 then the car shifted to 2nd then 3rd then back to 2nd. it would not go into any higher gears. when i arrived at my houser i tried to back it in the garage but reverse was inop so i was forced to push the p.o.s.! now she is forced to drive the SI and is not liking it. this is at a unfortunate moment since my daily is in the process in getting a aluminum driveshaft and rear end gears on which it has to wait...[:@]

has anyone experienced this or know any small fixes for these particular transmissions that can correct the problem? im expecting to replace the tranny and this leads to my next question... could i rebuild it easily, is there anywhere i can find a refab kit or rebuilt used/used tranny for less than $1300?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 99 accord tranny issue

Its blown. Maybe see if you can work a deal with your local dealership for a replacement. They all blow eventually, even rebuilt ones.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 AM

depending on certain transmission shops that do rebuilts they'll actually offer a warranty...when i got mine rebuilt they gave me a one year warranty which they'll remove and fix and put back in for free VERSUS buying a used transmission at a junkyard with a 30 day warranty which even if you do place it in and something does go wrong within the 30 days you'd hafta pay to have it taken out and go back AND then go back and pay the person to put it back in so of course the rebuilt is a better option but i don't know how they do it in your city

Old 03-17-2008, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007

depending on certain transmission shops that do rebuilts they'll actually offer a warranty...when i got mine rebuilt they gave me a one year warranty which they'll remove and fix and put back in for free VERSUS buying a used transmission at a junkyard with a 30 day warranty which even if you do place it in and something does go wrong within the 30 days you'd hafta pay to have it taken out and go back AND then go back and pay the person to put it back in so of course the rebuilt is a better option but i don't know how they do it in your city
i have the know how and tools to remove and reinstall but i dont have another transmission. i figured it was blown and a junk yard is out of the question... i mean that could be the reason why its there in the first place...i dont want to end up with it being good for 30 days and on the 31st it crap out. but thats not a bad idea. my preference is rebuilt, used and known good, or a shop that can rebuild it and not rape me over the coals at the same time.

im looking to get it all done and said with for about $1500 im willing to spend on it.

what shop did you use to fix your transmission? and what were the cost like?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

Its blown. Maybe see if you can work a deal with your local dealership for a replacement. They all blow eventually, even rebuilt ones.
i figured it was blown. i had 2 blow in my truck and rebuilt them for $400 the first time and $300 the second both including a $100 torque converter and me taking it out and putting it back in. but that was a chevy tranny and this of corse is a honda [:'(] jk.

anywhoo dose anyone know of a good shop in the DFW area, preferably fort worth?

Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: 04texasmach

i have the know how and tools to remove and reinstall but i dont have another transmission. i figured it was blown and a junk yard is out of the question... i mean that could be the reason why its there in the first place...i dont want to end up with it being good for 30 days and on the 31st it crap out. but thats not a bad idea. my preference is rebuilt, used and known good, or a shop that can rebuild it and not rape me over the coals at the same time.

im looking to get it all done and said with for about $1500 im willing to spend on it.

what shop did you use to fix your transmission? and what were the cost like?
well i did it at this spanish guy's shop who basically works ontransmission only.in miami for $900 and he basically gave me a one year warranty which basically if the transmission screwed up again he would fix it no charge.. i don't think it'll cost you $1500 though...i say start calling around...but there are many benefits and disbenefits to having a rebuilt

Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 PM

Have you checked the fluid level?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

Have you checked the fluid level?
I don't think its his fluid level because he's not the first person i've heard that has blown his transmission on the 3.0L 6th generation accord...this guy bought a brand NEW,fresh out of the manufacturer's warehouse transmission for $5000 when his blew.but it was BRAND NEW...

Old 03-22-2008, 12:16 AM

I don't think its his fluid level because he's not the first person i've heard that has blown his transmission on the 3.0L 6th generation accord...this guy bought a brand NEW,fresh out of the manufacturer's warehouse transmission for $5000 when his blew.but it was BRAND NEW...
It's an easy check and the guys complaint fits haveing low fluid. But since you know for a fact it isn't low.............

Old 03-22-2008, 01:13 PM

you never know though its always good to try one thing thats FREE before going out of your way and spending thousands of dollars...

Quick Reply: 99 accord tranny issue