Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Accord Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Evo22
Unregistered
Default Accord Engine swap

So being new to hondas and this site I have been browsing around for a good part of the day and my curiousity has jumped on wanting to improve the performance my car. I was wondering what the best engine swap (would want a manual tranny to go with it) would be for my accord, been trying the search function havent found anything that has satisfied my answers. Being a college student money is rough so I want the best bang for my buck. Just trying to get a ball park figure to see how much it would cost if it can be done for a reasonable price or just let my little guy be a daily driver while I save up for a better car with a decent eingine in it from the start. Any Input would be great

I know buying a lower model car as an automatic is not the way to go with performance but the car was to cheap to pass up and bought from a family member in great condition

Old 05-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Accord Engine swap

H22, H23, G23, K20, K24, turbo, etc. An Hswap is probably you're best bet for a good bang for the buck value. Imported H engines are around $1500 online, but you might be able to find one cheap locally. live2rice is in the middle of doing that swap and so far it's been pretty hassle free.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: finch13

H22, H23, G23, K20, K24, turbo, etc. An Hswap is probably you're best bet for a good bang for the buck value. Imported H engines are around $1500 online, but you might be able to find one cheap locally. live2rice is in the middle of doing that swap and so far it's been pretty hassle free.
more like done than in the middle of, just have 2 CELs i need to clear up and get it dyno tuned, but its drivable as it is.

but yeah the H22 swap is the most common/cheapest. if you want the best then thats a K series swap but those are very expensive

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 AM

What are you looking for from a swap? Or from your car in general? What makes you think you want a swap instead of some other kind of setup?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Evo22
Unregistered

Well Im looking for an upgrade in performance the cheapest way. The most power for the money and I figured engine swap would be the best. What was it the H22 gives how much HP 200ish or so I think, and my stock engine gives like 130ish so big upgrade in power for the money what else would give me the HP for $1500? Also I want to get rid of the automatic transmission for a manual so that would be the best time to do it but a combo of the 2. I dont know to much on cars, this is the 1st car i actually have thought and had interest in to try to do anything with.

Let me know if I am wrong in any of my thoughts, still learning

Old 05-05-2008, 07:25 AM

Well keep in mind that the Hp ratings you just listed for those motors are at the crank, not the wheels.

Start reading more into what all is actually involved and what you'll need to make your ideas happen. It'll cost you more than $1500 to do the motor and transmission swap at the same time. Luckily for you, any F or H swap into your car is almost 90% bolt in with minimal extra work required.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 AM

You can often buy the engine and trans in a combo from one of the online H22 suppliers. The labor is going to cost you a lot of money though if you cannot do the swap yourself. You will also have to buy all of the auto to manual conversion parts too. there is an auto to manual conversion thread in the DIY section. It is not an easy task.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 PM

i've been working on my swap for a while now, but can't find a good deal here on PR and even less the time to do it... it's not easy at all...

Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Evo22
Unregistered

ok tell me how stupid this sounds but what if I were to stick with the automatic transmission. I know people make fun of them non stop but still it is the most HP gain buying an H22 vs. random parts. Would it even be worth it yes its an automatic but it would be cheaper and easier I would think.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Your car has an auto now, so yes it would be cheaper & easier. You won't have to get a clutch pedal, or swap all the shift linkage/cables, or change the console stuff.

Yeah, we make fun of auto trannys. SO WHAT? What matters is ifYOUhate auto trannys. Lots of people like auto trannys.

Quick Reply: Accord Engine swap