Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Accord Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Accord Engine Swap

Hey guys I have a 1995 Honda Accord V6, I would like to swap the ****ty 170 hp V6 for a better engine. I was looking at a J32A2 or a H22 Vtec. Im new to the swap stuff but I would like to know whats better for me. Any comment helps, Thanks!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM

i dont have an engine swap myself but i was doing alot of research on them yesterday and there was definitly better things said about the J32A than the H22 and besides the J32A has more horses. use search engines be a critical consumer you know your car better than we do.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Supper Moderator

I would imagine since you are already equipped for a v6 another v6 would prob. be your best bet. Doing a h22 MIGHT be more modifying than it’s worth. But the h22 has more aftermarket support that the j series when it comes to performance parts. I have never heard of anyone swapping from a v6 down to a 4cyl.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey now, I drive a Legend with that same "XXXX" V6 in it, and it's a great engine. Those blocks are bulletproof, so forced induction is easily obtained with some fabrication. Should you do decide to get rid of your C27, I will happily take a few of the parts!

EDIT: It should be noted that the J-series V6 is an entirely different animal than the C-series you and I have now. The J-series is a 60-degree block (instead of the 90-degree C-series), and it is a VTEC engine, whereas the C27 is not. The wiring would have to be redone in the engine compartment, as well as engine mounts fabbed, plus fitting whichever transmission you decide to go with.

Simple bolt-ons will get your C27 to 200hp, and then you are a turbocharger away from a lot more. Side note: the JDM Honda Legend could be ordered with a turbocharged 2.0L V6 starting in 1988 . . . which is the same block as your V6!

Last edited by NuclearSymphony; 06-08-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with nuclear symphony. I'm not aware of many motor swaps done to the v6s 5th gens. So anything you do your going to have to custom fab all the parts and do all the research and design yourself. Whether its a H22, another v6, or a v10.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile

Thank u guys it really helps a lot everything said, Im rebuilding the engine and ill start with other mods, thanks again

Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Anytime! What kind of mods were you thinking of?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile

Well its been hard to find parts for the car, everything for 4 cilinder but very few for my V6, my goal is for auto show, money is not a issue but finding parts is, im thinking of talking to a shop to see if they help me out to find parts. Im in love with this car, I bough it for $1500 from a old guy who had it in garage, he was the first and only owner, the car is in perfect condition, might as well put some money on it.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh ok. I guess what I meant was, specifically what were you planning for the engine? I can point you in the direction of a few things, depending on what you're looking for. For example, an aluminum crank pulley has been made for these engines, as well as headers, although the headers are Legend-specific and I'm not entirely sure how they would clear the Accord engine bay (along with things like cross-members and various lines).

Are you thinking mostly bolt-on, or cracking the block open and getting internals worked over as well? One person I know is selling a complete set of heads for this engine that have been ported and polished and given a professional valve job, so if money really is not object with you, that might be a good thing to consider also.

Are you staying naturally aspirated, or going forced induction? I can say that there are a few turbocharged C27s running around, but no supercharged versions (not to say supercharging is not a good idea, just that nobody has gone that route yet).

Just trying to get a feel for where you are headed with this. Sounds like fun!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Cool

I just talked to a shop close to my house called Central Florida Turbo they are working on the engine soon, I knew the mechanic long time when I had a 92 Civic Lx with a 99 Civic Ex VTEC engine. Anyways man ill stay in touch with the progress of the car. I told them I want everything on the engine and including turbo. Not making a list because is going to be quite long but in other words the car is going to have every single thing done to it. Ill upload some pictures later.

Quick Reply: Accord Engine Swap