Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Air conditioner not blowing cold air 97 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:56 PM
jeremiah6120
Unregistered
Default Air conditioner not blowing cold air 97 Honda Accord

I have a 97 Honda Accord the AC just stop blowing cold the compressor still kicks on and i though the 134 was low but it is still full. This is the extent of my AC knowledge. Please help What do i do next i would like to know what is wrong with it before i pay someone to fix it.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Air conditioner not blowing cold air 97 Honda Accord

your freon is low. when its low, its not full. the problem is you may have a leak. if its a small leak, then just refilling the charge with some freon that has a leak sealer in it may work, but you might have to replace something. i would try refilling it first. a freon that i like is the "measure and charge" they have it at wal mart auto zone and your checker/shucks/kragen. freon is temperature sensitive though. those full readings are for 85 degrees if its like 100 out, then you need to put more in there.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:24 PM
jeremiah6120
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply, one of the things i did do was bought one of the measure and charge cans it told me it was full so i did not add more freon. Sorry i wasnt more detailed on the first post. So if you have any more ideas please let me know. Once again the compressor is kicking on the freon is full but it isn't blowing cold.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:54 PM

maybe your heater hose is stuck open. there is a little cable that controls the flow of hot water into the heater core. if it is stuck open, then the charge will be warm. does it feel hot? or just the temp of the outside air? what is the exact psi of the charge in the system? and try pushing the connector down a little harder on the fitting.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:55 PM

really those are the only two options though. and if the air isnt hot, then it is probably the charge.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:56 PM

and you need some actuall freon in there. make sure the shake the can, and tip it upside down when you put more in there. the can should get so cold you cant even hold on to it

Old 04-12-2006, 10:28 PM

Hmm i'm not sure if u're in the same situation as I was before because my 2001 accord used to have the same problem. Everytime you turn on the A/C it only blows out mild air neither cold nor hot. I fixed the problem by jiggling the Hot/Cold valve control under the engine compartment(or I believe it's where your A/C hose end for model before 1998 but im not really sure). After I move that valve back and forth.. I got cold air again.. Hope this can help you .. goodluck ...

Old 04-15-2006, 04:15 PM

how much freon is in the system ??? those only hold 20-22 ozs if system is overcharged it will not cool well..... I would chk the heater cable adjustment, make sure valve is fully closed when **** is in the cold position,,, if it is ok,, I would do a evac and recharge and put the proper amount in.....
. do not just keep on adding freon just because it does not cool well as someone suggested..

Old 04-15-2006, 05:49 PM

Run your A/C for a couple min, until you think its warmed up. Pop the hood. Go out to the engine and look for the low side of the A/C system, the low side will have the thin metal A/C lines and might have a blue cap where the test fitting goes in. If the low side lines are cold to touc and the high side (the thick lines) are hot then you A/C is working fine something is wrong with air mix. If you don't have cold low side lines and hot high side lines, something is wrong with your A/C. Check to make sure that the compressor is actually turning and the clutch is engaging. It could be that there is a leak, but when the refrigerant level drops the low side switch should kick in. You can buy this stuff that comes in a can, you hook it up to the A/C just like refrigerant and charge your system with it. Let the A/C run and if there is a leak you can hook up a UV light (black light) to it and you will see the stuff on the lines around the leak. Also, you can apply vacuum to the A/C system and see if the A/C system holds the vacuum. If it holds vacuum there is no leak. The only problem with this is that you will need a vacuum pump (and some type of guage) or an A/C machine.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:39 AM

yo agent you got the lines mixed up..........the low side is the tick one that's the one that will feel cold,, the skinnier one is the high side line warmer to the touch

Quick Reply: Air conditioner not blowing cold air 97 Honda Accord