Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

auto finnaly catching up with stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: auto finnaly catching up with stick

B!+ch-stick doesn't let you downshift and time the engagement for the turn. Also, you can't feather the clutch in the turn when engaging the lower gear.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:12 PM

yes it does. drive a 2008 GTI(automatic/manual trans). u don't feel the same as driving a manual but i'm telling you, you can feel the downshift when you switch from auto to manu.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:48 AM

my friend let me drive his 350Z and its an auto with the tiptronic..so basically you supposedly can also shift whenever you like...but when i placed it on tiptronic mode and i was shifting, it didnt really let me shift until i get to a certain speed...which sucks..

Old 07-03-2008, 09:27 AM

Drove an 08 MDX with a slapstick and it SUCKS. Plus, autos still suck up a bunch of power in the TC.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007

yes it does. drive a 2008 GTI(automatic/manual trans). u don't feel the same as driving a manual but i'm telling you, you can feel the downshift when you switch from auto to manu.
Explain how you can feather the engagement to control your speed in the turns. Also, with any electronic control system, there is some amount of delay. When I dump the clutch, it is mechanical ..... no delay. A split second can make a huge difference in performance.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:34 AM

In many ways they are catching up and in the case of mileage have passed what a manual shift can achieve. Mercedes has several models with 8 speed autos now.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

In many ways they are catching up and in the case of mileage have passed what a manual shift can achieve. Mercedes has several models with 8 speed autos now.
well yeah..some of them..but thats only because they resulted in alot more gears to counter their low mpg..using more lower gear ratio's to lower the cars rpm more...but yeah..they are catching up..but still manuals are the bomb to drive..its more fun..=P...

Old 07-06-2008, 01:07 PM

slap stick wont let you "down shift" until 2900rpms. whille manual i can do it whenever i feel i wanna rip my motor.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:12 PM

Good to know. But how about those new Nissans w/ CVT? Even worse than b!+ch stick.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:27 PM

the weight differece in the average honda is 67 lbs between an auto and manual so the mpg argument is a pretty much moot point with the difference being between 1 and 2 mpg

manuals = change gears when you want to
slightly better gas milage

manuals are troublesome to drive in rushour traffic for a lot of people
autos are quicker off the line due to the torque converter doing what is called torque multiplication
autos change gears much faster than 99.9% of the manual drivers out there
autos don't mis-shift under normal conditions (IE ecu will not let you over-rev on a downshift as it just locks you out)
autos can tow a crapload due to vastly increased clutch area compared to a manual in passenger car applications

so it basically comes down to do you want to change gears or do you want the car to do it.......

Quick Reply: auto finnaly catching up with stick