Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Automatic Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 AM
Default Automatic Transmission fluid change

Hello , I have my first Honda and it's a 2012 Honda Accord 2.4 liter with an automatic transmission. Is there anything different than other cars to changing a Honda automatic transmission fluid ? I normally change my Toyota and Mazda by draining and refilling once a year. I know there is some residual fluid left froma drain and refill but I do mine once a year whether it needs it or not. It maybe overkill but my other cars have lasted quite a long time.
Any of you guys/gals have any good information ? Also , do the Hondas have transmission filters or are they kinda like screen strainers ?
Thanks for any help.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

I saw your other post first...

When you drain & fill, you only get 1/3 or so of the total fluid. So for an older car with dirty ATF people usually suggest 3 or 4 fluid changes to get it all cleaned out.

For a 3 year old car I wouldn't expect it is that horrible yet.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:47 PM

What brand and type fluid do these Honda transmission use with the 2.4 liter engines ?

Old 04-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Honda ATF, period, full-stop, the end.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Honda ATF, period, full-stop, the end.
What do you mean by "full-stop" ?

Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

That means end of discussion (the term "full-stop" is a British equivalent of "period").

Long story short, use anything other than Honda ATF to the peril of your transmission.

Last edited by shipo; 04-16-2015 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:18 PM

Oh Ok thanks

Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 AM

Tercel, it sounds like you are a car guy and a DIY guy, I am not a engineer or scientist ,I have just been in a shop for 40 years now. So much has changed . Preventive maintenance is the number 1 most important thing in the life of your car. All the cars I see daily the person that really is a fluid changer has less problems, I do not think anyone will argue with that. A fluids except Brake fluid in your car are petroleum based with additives some detergents some dispersments. Petroleum products are effected by heat. I would get a lab to test the fluid and give you a breakdown on it ,Blackstone Labs , if you can find a local guy that has some Radial Planar Chromtography test. have it tested , I am working on a Honda Accord tranny as we speak , Honda trannies have always been a discussed issue in our trade, her is my take. I do not think any fluid last forever, heat is the enemy , we are driving cars 2 to 300 k today. I would install a good cleaner and drive a few miles let it warm up to operating temperature,, HONDA SAYS NO, I am just speaking from experience. If it was put in it can be pulled out generally speaking , I personally prefer on Honda autos to use the Honda OE fluid or the BG fluid. I like BG products I am sure some do not. I just have had such good experience with it. There are a few methods if you look around that you can do to get all the fluid out. I am sure You Tube has them. Honda wants you to use there fluid and I would to if I owned Honda, although in our field Honda does not have the best reputation for transmission issues. They just install new ones, everything will wear out as we no, although extended life happens with good fluid with there properties Viscosity, Lubricity and the other additives so important. If you have no TCM issues , keep the temperature in the tranny cool, not overheated, and you will have extended life as a general rule. As i said I feel Honda OE fluid does not expand as much when heated. Call the BG hotline and speak to them, I am sure there are other aftermarket companies that also make a replacement for the car. I am just sold on BG. My rep for BG is very good also. You are headed down the right path , PM is so important as you no. Sounds like you got it figured out. Most people will not change tranny fluid because there father said do not do it. Times have changed. I have had to also. Sorry for the long post. As I said this all from me working in my shop since I was 14 years old in 1974. Good Luck

Old 04-16-2015, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Using BG fluid (or any other fluid for that matter) is a very bad idea. Why? Because the Honda clutches in their automatic transmissions are designed for a very specific coefficient of friction, and it is HIGHLY unlikely other ATFs have the spcific friction rate necessary for proper clutch operation. Just because any given ATF *might* use a superior base oil does not in any way mean it is better for the transmission.

Long story short, if one has a properly functioning Honda transmission, using a non-Honda product in said transmission will most likely shorten the life of said transmission. If the transmission is already on the way out, you've got nothing to lose.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Off topic discussion posts moved to off-topic section.

Last edited by redbull-1; 04-17-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission fluid change