Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Best wires and plugs? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/best-wires-plugs-2571/)

19Accord97 04-02-2006 09:48 PM

Best wires and plugs?

I am planning on putting new wires and spark plugs in my 97 Accord. I was wondering which brand you think are the best? On eBay there are some NGK wires that come w/ spark plugs for 64 bucks? Is that a good price or are there diff. versions of wires and plugs? I'm mainly looking to improve gas mileage but extra pep wouldnt hurt either! lol

mbo1985 04-02-2006 10:50 PM

RE: Best wires and plugs?

I've heard only great things about the nology hotwires. I want to get some for my accord. They use capacitors to deliver a powerful spark no matter when RPM. NGK iriduim plugs are at the top of my list for spark plugs.

WheelBrokerAng 04-02-2006 11:10 PM

I agree with MBO on his choice of wires and plugs, but of course everyone has different experiences with other brands and I'm sure they just might share it with you..

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

19Accord97 04-03-2006 02:46 AM

Thanks guys! I hope I hear some more setups!

LinX 04-03-2006 05:34 AM

NGK blue wires with Denso Iridium Spark Plugs

marbro 04-03-2006 09:51 AM

running nology hots and iridium ngk's love them, sold performance across the board

sleep depervation 04-03-2006 05:35 PM

NGK wires with NGK plugs, do it like the south keep it in the family.[sm=joke.gif]

19Accord97 04-03-2006 09:40 PM

Thanks for all your replies! I guess it will either be NGK or Hotwires w/ some iridium plugs once I get the $$$ ! thanks!

marbro 04-03-2006 10:02 PM

if you want to save a little money on the plugs http://www.sparkplugs.com/

19Accord97 04-06-2006 11:29 PM

Thanks for the site Marbo! I had just oen more question, will the new wires or plugs shorten my engine life? I was just curious b/c I was reading that nitrous does because it gets hott and besically fuses your engine parts together. Would that be a slow, likely, process? And would I see a noticeable MPG increase?

marbro 04-07-2006 01:55 AM

if you plan on running no2 and iridiums dont expect it to last long, but all its doing is giving a full burn to the fuel and the fuel itself can only create so much heat. Basically with your previous addition of the shorty and adding the plugs and wires you will be adding the full burn of the fuel thats being dropped in.

19Accord97 04-08-2006 12:46 AM

Well that makes sense! I feel like that was a really dumb question now! Also, is there really that much of a difference between getting hotwires or better plug wires such as NGK?

marbro 04-08-2006 02:39 AM

hot wires are special, they have a built in capacitor in each wire which allows for a full charged spark without the aid of an upgraded ignition coil or the like, do you need them? no, will it help some, yes, but so far im not sure if you will actually save gas by using iridiums and the hotwire....... it seems to be dumping in more fuel because of how well its getting burnt..... but i will know fully on my trip back home

19Accord97 04-09-2006 09:41 PM

Alright, i'll be anxiously waiting for your response!

deserthonda 04-15-2006 04:09 PM

use NGK PLUGS and dealer plug wires..........I read on the net and damn if i can find it again ,,that on dyno tests that no other brand of plug wires outperformed honda wires ..
I wish i could come across that site again so you all could read it

marbro 04-15-2006 10:22 PM

Well, i got about 25mpg on 14.6gallons which is far from its best so, im assuming somethings fouled up.... and i bet its directly related to having the tps off for that week. So I wouldnt go based on my trial run. oh, I was also running a set of bosch pat +4's for a year, I need to run some fuel injector cleaner maybe some other additives and try again....

19Accord97 04-19-2006 09:04 PM

Well I am def. going to go with the NGK plugs...I'll think on the wires though! Maybe I'll save up for Hotwires. Thanks marbo and deserthonda

19Accord97 04-23-2006 10:16 PM

Hey guys,
Went to Advance auto parts to check the price on the plugs and noticed the NGK platinums are about 3 bucks more than the NGK iridiums. So i'm assuming the platnims are better even though people have been recommending iridiums? Thanks!

marbro 04-23-2006 10:26 PM

well, theres two types of iridiums, the regular and the ix but i dont know how plat's would be more expensive, cause the most expensive ive seen has been iridiums

19Accord97 04-24-2006 12:19 AM

I was sort of confused too. The platniums were $10 for maybe they dont carry the ix iridiums...oh well, the autozone right next to it is almost ready to open! lol Maybe they'll have them Thanks Marbo

19Accord97 04-26-2006 04:38 PM

Having better plugs and wires wont hurt the pistons will it? As is running lean or getting to hot. What do you guys think about Denso Iridiums, or are the NGK iridium ix's still better?

lightshow 04-26-2006 06:06 PM

i have heard a couple bad things about the denso plugs, but nothing bad about the ngk's so im not exactly sure, i dont have enough data on the both of them. i always recommend ngk though, just because thats the brand honda wants in their cars. better wires and plugs will not hurt your engine at all

LinX 04-26-2006 09:59 PM

I've been running Denso Iridiums with NGK Blues for about a year now and I have no regrets at all. Can't go wrong with either.

19Accord97 04-27-2006 12:49 AM

Thanks! Sorry I keep asking more questions....My dad is always worried b/c its our first import and hes used to working on the Mopar V8's from the muscle car era! I know I asked this already, but with my AEM shorty, Apexi WS2, OBX racing headers, plugs n wires, should I see an increase in MPG? Or will it be unnoticeable?

deserthonda 04-27-2006 02:07 AM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Well I am def. going to go with the NGK plugs...I'll think on the wires though! Maybe I'll save up for Hotwires. Thanks marbo and deserthonda

DO NOT use any plug wires other than Honda factory wires,, it is the best money can buy for the hondas,,

19Accord97 04-27-2006 10:00 PM

Really? I've read that alot of people on here swear by NGK wires and plugs. Why wouldnt you recommend them?

WheelBrokerAng 04-27-2006 10:05 PM

Now That's Classic....ie...keep it in the family...we ought to make that a sticky :D
WheelBrokerAng

ORIGINAL: sleep depervation

NGK wires with NGK plugs, do it like the south keep it in the family.[sm=joke.gif]

deserthonda 04-29-2006 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Really? I've read that alot of people on here swear by NGK wires and plugs. Why wouldnt you recommend them?
It is that i would not reccomend them but i reccomend Honda factory wires over any others

they did a dyno test on a lot of plug wires, and Honda factory wires outperformed even the more expensive wires,, i found it on the net ,browsing around and for the life of me i have been trying to relocate it so i can post it here so people can read it , and i cannot remeber where i found it ,,it was an automotive article , darn it i cannot find it anywhere anymore ..

marbro 04-29-2006 05:40 PM

I wonder where the hot wires performed

accord4sroy 09-22-2006 10:41 PM

so, the ngk iridiums i got were also a couple dollars cheaper than the laser platinums at advance. we compared them, and i just went with the iridium ix's which are awesome! had a guy do it from the store!

next project is to get honda wires, and then do the distributor cap and rotor!

myrtle71590 06-27-2007 10:02 PM

My friend has nology hot wires and nology silver spark plugs which according to the chart on nology.com outperform any other sparkplug because not only are they very dense but are also great conductors. This combo seems to work flawlessly on his 1997 accord.

myrtle71590 06-27-2007 10:09 PM

Here is the site that talks about the performance of silver spark plugs compared to others.
http://nology.com/silver.html

pyaarawala 06-27-2007 10:33 PM

NGK is good.

Velocifero 06-28-2007 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: myrtle71590

My friend has nology hot wires and nology silver spark plugs which according to the chart on nology.com outperform any other sparkplug because not only are they very dense but are also great conductors. This combo seems to work flawlessly on his 1997 accord.

dude thats a marketing scheme. oh wait, it couldn't be false since its on their own site huh?? ill quote myself here:

"i just slapped some nice black oem wires on from the dealership a few days ago. this quote is from 2point6, and if you dont know who that is, you havent been around long enough. hes got a sick 11 second all motor H24 Accord. anyway heres what he said on the subject:

" I dynoed new sets of MSD, NGK, Nology, Magnacore, and OEM back to back.

MSD, OEM, NGK all dynoed the same +/- 0.2 HP across the board.

The Nology wires were down on power at -2 hp throuhout the rev band.

Magnacores made even less.

All runs were measured at the same intake and operating temperatures.

Point is... paying more for the MSD wires could be a waste of money plus the fitment is below average." "

dynos dont lie.

03Sleeper 06-28-2007 11:34 AM

Agreed @ deserthonda

Dazed 07-04-2007 04:36 PM

19Accord97 what plugs and wires did u end up getting?
I wud get ur setup if it worked on ur car, since we have the same model.

Nishdog007 12-08-2007 02:09 PM

i just called HONDA to ask for their price on wires. Does anyone know if it true that 2000 Accords don't have wires. The rep told me thatthe car only has plugs and coils...and hence, only the plugs need to be replaced.

sir_nasty 12-08-2007 02:13 PM

it's true, if you pop the hood you will notice direct packs or coil packs on each spark plug it's an electronic distributor.

KevinAccord 12-08-2007 02:23 PM

what? i don't understand! my accord doesn't have wires? what do u change then?

JimBlake 12-10-2007 12:00 AM

KevinAccord... You'll see that there isn't a distributor & plug wires. Each spark plug has it's own little ignition coil.

Or maybe Puerto Rico doesn't get the same USA-spec cars?