Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

is it better to have more torque or more horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: is it better to have more torque or more horsepower?

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai
(this is the reason why autos are FASTER off of the line than the same car with a MANUAL)

heeeeee

Old 07-27-2006, 01:09 AM

pl;z plz plz dont post in this again... u have no weight anymore... the TORQUE CONVERTER is mearly a fluid clutch... it in no way multiplies or enhances torque... it actualy destroys torque because instead of a clutch which is solid on solid a torque converter is a liquid turbine that slips 100% while at a stop allowing ur engine to turn while ur wheels dont... when u hit it it creates a vortex with its fins inside the liquid that is transfered to the other side of the converter and then runs threw the automatic tranny... this relationship actualy creates a HUGE HUGE loss in power because instead of the clutch (direct connection) u have a weak liquid... pushing ur car... and if u wanna come back with well why do drag cars use automatics its because they run bracket racing and thats about consistancy not and i make this very clear NOT about top speed or lowest time... a geo metro that runs 50s could dominate in bracket racing because with a good driver it would run exactly the same run over and over and over... now is there any more reasons u think that a auto is better? and if u say anything about the hennasy viper automatic i will stab u in the eye!

Old 07-27-2006, 06:50 AM

you really think you know something don't you? I really hate it when people have no idea what they are talking about and try to tell me i am stupid......

Here read this and then come back

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter3.htm

"In addition to the very important job of allowing your car come to a complete stop without stalling the engine, the torque converter actually gives your car more torque when you accelerate out of a stop. Modern torque converters can multiply the torque of the engine by two to three times. This effect only happens when the engine is turning much faster than the transmission"

you are so full of it you stink........

I deal in facts not stupidity........

Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 AM

well... u find me a I4 accord auto to come race me and he wins... then u can laugh at me

Old 07-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

"In addition to the very important job of allowing your car come to a complete stop without stalling the engine, the torque converter actually gives your car more torque when you accelerate out of a stop. Modern torque converters can multiply the torque of the engine by two to three times. This effect only happens when the engine is turning much faster than the transmission"
That's a simplification for the benefit of people who don't know how to do a correct force & moment balance. A gearbox will multiply torque much more effectively then a torque converter. It's not as bad as legion says, but an energy balance says that the power MUST be reduced by the amount of Joule heating in the torque converter.

The advantage of a torque converter only comes in the unsteady-state operation right off a standing start.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:01 PM

yuppers, ultimately there is some energy loss because the torque converter doesnt create the same physical connection that the manual trans does. But as a side note, the advancements in automatics has been very significant so that problem is all that much smaller with newer cars. So in the end its left to the actual gearing of the transmission vs it being the difference between an auto and a manual

As a future note, a person who claims to have faith defeats themselves when they say they only deal with fact, because faith is a result of the absense of factual truth.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 PM

that is why I limited my comments to a specific situation where it is applicable. There is energy loos with an auto but it does not come into play during launch because of the advantages you get when you launch. Once the the converter locks up, then the losses due to the converter are negated since there is a direct coupling just like in a manual trans.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: As a future note, a person who claims to have faith defeats themselves when they say they only deal with fact, because faith is a result of the absense of factual truth.
Uhm you need to take this the apperiate thread and this one isn't it. Thanks

Old 07-27-2006, 10:20 PM

And this response required a second post?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:58 AM

u might get a small temporary increase in torque... to the point of moving ur car but thats it... ur launch will be much slower and MUCH weaker then any manual... its a proven fact but whatever

Quick Reply: is it better to have more torque or more horsepower?