Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   is it better to have more torque or more horsepower? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/better-have-more-torque-more-horsepower-4151/)

YeuEmMaiMai 07-29-2006 07:57 AM

RE: is it better to have more torque or more horsepower?

stall speed on a 6th gen accord is approximately 2100 RPM

legionofone 07-29-2006 09:33 AM

did i say stock torque converter a 3200 is the most common HIGH STALL! they are the best because they allow for non jumpy start and stops and maximize day to day drivability...

HondaRacer4Vtec 07-29-2006 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: 02BlueAccord

i would rather have more tq then hp. cuz in a race u dont race past like 100 on the street. if u have alot of tq u can smoke the other guy off the line and maybe get far enough were they wont be able to catch u

i mostly drive on the high way and when i race it usally from 80-115 to 120 i think thats when gov limits it. So i rather have more Hp i guess right its good cause at 80-100 its in 3rd gear with vtec roaring.

Chiovnidca 07-29-2006 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

how the heck do u hook at 7k? i would think u would just sit there and slip
Slicks, need to spin em over a bit to keep from breaking stuff as much.

marbro 07-29-2006 02:02 PM

Yeah, but thats only considering the small b series engine maybe d series? i cant remember what the other common smaller engine swapped into a civic is. But only those engines are worth dropping that into..... you could never safely do that to an f or h series, it just becomes too unstable, but an engine that can rev up to 10/11k scares me when it comes to catastrophic engine failure..... the rod going through the whole car in half a second intsead of just the engine block.

Just imagine a built up b series engine with a t60 turbo and that 7000 high stall

You can rev any auto up to a certain point for a better launch, its just a matter of when your engine over powers the cars brakes. And sure, if you get to have an extra $100k for upgrades then the 350z gets that as well ^_- Its just too bad though, the 350z would still be easy to drive on the street with 100k in mods and an auto... stop and go traffic > stage 3 clutch lol

legionofone 07-29-2006 08:18 PM

*CHIRP*

HondaRacer4Vtec 07-30-2006 02:47 PM

I could be wrong but couldnt you rev up the engine in netrual with auto trans then hold the button down and rip it to D1 and get a big lunch like that?

tom15425 07-30-2006 03:55 PM

You can, but I don't think the trans is gonna care for that too much. I've gotten a big launch by just dropping it from neutral to D4, but I haven't done it but once (same reason). A little safer way to get a good launch on an auto is braking hard in D1 and revving it up. Works for D4 as well.

Chiovnidca 07-30-2006 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: HondaRacer4Vtec

I could be wrong but couldnt you rev up the engine in netrual with auto trans then hold the button down and rip it to D1 and get a big lunch like that?
Your likely to lunch your transmission that way.

marbro 07-30-2006 07:20 PM

ok.... and auto trans IS NOT MADE TO DO THAT never do that, its no different then shifting into reverse when you driving forward, your going to damage the transmission assuming you dont destroy first gear or the transmission itself. Thats why have different stall rates on the torque converters cause thats the only way to properly do that.

But if you really dont care about your auto, go ahead a neutral drop it a few times