Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Brakes (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/brakes-56348/)

96hondaaccord 08-26-2013 08:12 AM

Brakes

I was wondering if any of you know the common place for a leak to occur in the Brake system. I have a massive leak, but can not tell where it is coming from. The fluid is leaking from the drivers side of the car more towards the firewall. The fluid is leaking rapidly and I am nervous to drive the car, but it is my only car. I have to keep the brake fluid topped off all the time. I do not see any leaks coming from the Master Cylinder or around that area. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

MysticBlueEX 08-26-2013 10:06 AM

Don't drive it.!
My rear brake line rusted out, started with a tiny pinhole, just a couple of drops, I added fluid. Once. Didn't think much of it.
Then shortly after, it went, I only had 1 mile at 25 mph before I had no braking at all and had to have it towed.

MysticBlueEX 08-26-2013 10:11 AM

One more time,
Get it towed!

JimBlake 08-26-2013 04:22 PM

Are you going to fix it or take it to a shop?

Lift the car & support it properly so it doesn't fall on you. Have a helper to pump the brake pedal while you watch underneath. Then you'll have a better chance to find where the fluid is actually coming from.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a brake line (steel tube) that has corroded through. If so, then you can imagine that all the brake lines are about the same age and the same corrosion environment.

96hondaaccord 08-26-2013 04:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I took a picture and it coming from the part with four brake lines connected to it. It is below all those hoses and it is below the Master Cylinder mounted to the drivers side fender well and I can see brake fluid all over the fender well where that part is mounted too. See attached picture. Does anyone know what that part is?

poorman212 08-26-2013 05:11 PM

Attachment didn't come thru?

You might have to resize/compress it for it to "upload" as there are size (kb) limits on files.

96hondaaccord 08-27-2013 11:25 AM

I am sorry I did attach it to the original post.

JimBlake 08-27-2013 02:04 PM

I think it's a proportioning valve. Which is different whether or not your car has ABS. (Accord LX was available with or without ABS that year)

96hondaaccord 08-27-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 330506)
I think it's a proportioning valve. Which is different whether or not your car has ABS. (Accord LX was available with or without ABS that year)

Mine is non-abs and also could it be possible it is one of the lines going into that proportioning valve. I can see the brake fluid on the wheel well where it is mounted too. Do you have a part number for it?

JimBlake 08-28-2013 04:32 PM

Go to www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com
(there's also some other on-line parts places you can choose)
click PARTS
put in your car's information
category is "brake lines" or "brake pipes" or something like that.

Seems to me the first thing for you to check is whether it's a loose fitting or something like that, rather than a failure in the proportioning valve itself.

Got a "flare wrench"? It's like a box wrench with a saw-cut through the box. That'll work much better than a typical open-end wrench on those fittings.