Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Building a head yourself VS buying a built head

Old 09-22-2007, 04:52 AM
Default Building a head yourself VS buying a built head

Sometime in the future I'd like to do some headwork to my F22B1. So GUDE racing sells a head package including an intake manifold and a throttle body. I think it's around $1200 not including the $500 core charge. This is a fully built head, and the throtle body and intake manifold are suppose to be port and polished as well. My question is, would I get more power out of a head that I pieced together, or from the GUDE head? I can't find on their site an estimated horsepower gain. So what do you guys think?

Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Building a head yourself VS buying a built head

It's a lot cheaper to find a spare head, throttle body, and intake manifold yourself and have them sent out to get ported/polished, etc. This way they can be tailored to your particular setup and not some mass produced ****. F parts arent exactly popular and people that have swapped out their F's for H22's or whatever are generally letting the pieces go for cheap.

When I did mine for my F23 I found a head, intake manifold, throttle body, and brand new skunk2 cam gear some guy was selling for just over $200 shipped 2 day express to my door. I couldn't pass on that. Plus by finding spare parts and then having them worked on while you still drive your car allows you to have minimal downtime when you go to swap the new(er) parts on.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:35 AM

I see your point, but that doesn't include the rest of what it would cost to get all the valves, springs etc. to build the head. The GUDE head comes with the springs, valves, cam, and I'm not sure what else. I'd have to check out the sire again.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

While that's true, you can piece together your own valvetrain that better suits your setup. There are better options out there.

BTW - www.f22parts.com = Gude

Also - check out www.bisimoto.com for valvetrain and cams. www.webcamshafts.com is also a good place.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:30 AM

Thanks for the info. and the links, I'll have to do some serious research before I start that project.