Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

CAMs and Chips for 3.0s

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Default CAMs and Chips for 3.0s

I'm not seeing any discussion here in this regard. Is there any performance cams for the 3.0s to be had?
Chips and MTs???
Not to sound stupid but, here it goes.
Aren't chips primararily to control and or program shifts inATs.
Even if I had an AT or that they have chips to improveHP arethere any worth the $$$$?????

Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: CAMs and Chips for 3.0s

Umm...chips...no...and no to everything else.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 PM

ummmm well i don't think so but i know what i would do if i had the J30a1 as stock on my accord...i woulda changed the camshafts and cylinder heads for the J32A2,add a greddy SP2 exhaust system,AEM V2 cold air intake, a supercharger kit from comptech, lower the car 2 inches, i'd be greedy and try to swap in a 6 speed later on in lifebut for nowi'd be satisfied...thats what i would do...i don't believe in those chips they sell on ebay and whatever

Old 03-17-2008, 07:42 PM

At last some CONTRIBUTION! OK now I'm getting somewhere. Where can I find some relevent data on the CAMs and Heads and what should I be lookin @ for $ and time for labor. Mine or for hire?
Let me give you a little background. I'm an ex machinist and now aMechanical Eng (mostly tooling in MFG world) I know my way pretty well under the hood. I've restored and been keeping a 93 SHO on the road for the past 3 yrs here in NH, which is no small featin itself. BUT I haven't disassembled any engines lately! I could go on and on about past projects but, that would be going off course.
Is this something I need a performance shop for? Again I have no problem under the hood but, these newer cars sometimes require newer-vehicle experience and specialized tools????
CAI and exhaust is a given and I'll take care of that.
Supercharger Yes! Turbo No! I dont want the lag but, what's the trade off? Maybe the AC would have to go?
Lowering the attitude that will be after I have the power and that is a definite! And what do you mean swap the 6spd?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:21 PM

6 speed manual transmission you'll have alot more power in your possession...that would go lovely if you could change the camshafts and cylinder heads for the J32A2..its going to cost ALOT of money though and you'll have to do some hunting but i know if you change the cams and cylinder heads for the J32A2 you gain a big amount of horsepower you'll be looking at a 30-60 Hp gain...and i wouldn't place a turbo on a V6 neither...the supercharger is the way to go...i am not sure on how much a supercharger would add though i just know comptech is the most popular supercharger i've heard of within the 6th generation accord(3.0L version)

Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 PM

i'm not sure on where you can get data on that, i know there has to be a thread somewhere out there discussing it but i know for sure that the cams and cylinder heads of the J32A2 will fit in the J30A1...i read it in a thread before i just can't remember where...

Old 03-18-2008, 11:42 AM

I can't help you any with "how to" on the internals but I know crazy things can be done if you have the know-how and the right tools. There is a guy over on 6thgenaccord.com that has a 6th generation coupe (98-02 model for those who don't know the lingo) that has swapped in a 3.5lblock from a Honda pilot and he has a comptech supercharger on it as well. I am not sure what all he did, but it looks crazy. he retained his auto trans, although I don't see how it is holding up.
There are also guys over there who have swapped in a 6 speed trans from an Acura TL or RL. It is very complicated and expensive, but it fits.
Bottom line is: it's gonna take a lot of custom fabbing to do much of anything to a 6th gen V6 besides headers, intake, & exhaust.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Lol i have seen some crazy things done to the V6 models...thats why i was so inspired on swapping in a v6...i've seen an 02 accord coupe but he supped up his engine to the max!he had **** coming out of cars like the ridgeline and whatever and the performance on his caris ridiculous!i know he was tunning up his car to beat the 2007 magnum with the HEMI,2004 mustang(300 Hp version) and supposedly the 350Z(at stock)...last time i heard supposedly he did and theres a video leaking out of him beatingthem but i have yet to come across it and you know what they say seeing is believing...but from what i have heard from his collegues it is a must see...

Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 PM

hspwrjnk thanks for the info on the heads and cams. im goin to do some diggin. This sound like a possibility!
There are high flow cats out there (universal) not a direct fit I take it maybe something that I can weld in a Mod to accomplish????? There are also some that are supposedly direct bolt ons but I'm not expecting much! Cats Back there are plenty of options.
Superchargers Ill do some diggin on this too!
As for radical mods I'm not in the possiton to go there
I do have a six spd.
I need to find out where to drop in specs, Signature doesn't sound right but, is it?
Thanks again

Old 03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Pretty sure you can't swap the J32 heads onto the new V6's.

Quick Reply: CAMs and Chips for 3.0s