Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

can you keep the stock bumper if turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 05:08 AM
Default can you keep the stock bumper if turbo?

like the title asks, can you keep the stock bumper if you turbo a h22 dropped in 92 accord? im making plans and dont know if i will want to drop the motor and turbo at the same time. but if i do drop the motor and turbo at the same time, what can i do for it performance wise and precautious wise to keep the car running for another 100000 miles?

Old 04-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: can you keep the stock bumper if turbo?

you dont want to run over 6psi unless want more boost then that, then you have to change the pistons to a lower compression, and keeping the bumpee depends on the innercooler and piping, if you have too big of an innercooler and piping you may need a different front bumper, may need to cut the inside of the bumper or may not have to do anything at all, thats one of those, youll know for sure when its there

Old 04-09-2006, 04:56 PM

how much does it cost to change the pistons to a lower compression?

Old 04-09-2006, 05:18 PM

well some turbo racers use low compression pistons in high pressure turbo systems because it makes the motor more detonation resistant. but increasing the compression actually decreases spool up time and makes the motor more responsive. you only need to change the pistons if you are going to run some serious boost.

as far as you bumper goes, you can absolutely use the stock one but it will almost certainly need to be trimmed in certain areas to let the intercooler piping pass by.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:51 PM

yeah, get the jig saw out because there will a few places that will need modding. As far keeping the engine alive. I decided to go with an MSD boost timing master to avoid detonation. This maybe overkill for low boost, but I have no detonation whatsover. Aslo, run premuim gas. Low compression pistons for anything under 12 psi probably won't be needed. Keep it at 8 or under if you want the motor to last without doing major modding to it. Good luck man!

Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 PM

Okay so with the H22, drop the turbo in it, and then trim the bumper a little and change the pistons? should i change the cam gears and pulleys as well? ( will i feel a decent horsepower increase changing the pulleys and cam gears on the h22? ) thanks!

Old 04-10-2006, 05:11 AM

no.....dont change the pistons. but if you do, then change out the rods, sleeves (or close the deck), valves, retainers, cams, etc

Old 04-11-2006, 01:12 AM

Higher compression does increase spool time, but it still limits how much boost you can run even if you close the deck or sleeve the engine. If it didnt everyone would be running 12:1 with 25psi

Old 04-13-2006, 01:43 PM

if your not going to run high boost, then don't change the pistons out, just make sure you get a dam good tune(dyno) and you should be fine. Also sorry if this is a stupid question, whats the difference beween sleeveing and closing the deck? I know what sleeving is but don't know what you mean by closing the deck Thanks, Dakota

Old 04-14-2006, 01:35 AM

Changing the pistons pretty much requires you to rebuild the engine. You could just change the pistons, but this would be a terrible idea. Usually when you are going to run serious boost, you install forged pistons and connecting rods. A good set of pistons, rods, and rings will cost about $1000. If you are super serious, you can get sleeves but i've heard that cylinder sleeves are not required unless you plan on running more than 20 PSI of boost. Sleeves will prolly add another $1000 to the cost of the rebuild. If you plan to rebuild the engine do it before you install the engine to save money on labor. My guess is that a rebuild will cost somewhere between $2000 and $3000 but i've never had one done before.

Quick Reply: can you keep the stock bumper if turbo?