Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Can't Shift out Park & No Horn???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Default Can't Shift out Park & No Horn???

Hey everyone. I have an '01 Accord sedan auto 4 cyl and I just got home, put it in park to open the garage door and dropped it into drive and it wouldn't budge. I pressed the brake ALL the way down and still won't budge. It's as if I'm not even pressing the brakes. This is very sudden and has never hapened before. Any ideas what it is and how this could happen? I gotta get this fixed ASAP. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Default RE: Accord (Auto) won't get out of Park

Did some searching online and it said something about a brake fuse under the hood. I replaced that since it was indeed blown and it worked. I put it back in park and then drive again but it wouldn't go to drive. Checked the fuse and it was blown again. I also read about a switch by the actual brake pedal, but I saw a plug that is connected to it. I disconnected that and plugged it in and put a new fuse and it won't work at all again just like before. Suggestions?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 PM

Well, another update. Replaced the brake light switch under the dash by the brake pedal and put a new fuse in. It worked, but only once. Fuse blew again and replacing the fuse doesnt do jack anymore. The horn doesnt work either. I'm guessing its on the same wiring system or something, because when I did replace the fuse and the brake light switch, the horn worked.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The horn is probably bad causing a short that keeps blowing the fuse. Try unplugging the horns under the hood and electrical tape the connectors so they cannot ground and load another fuse in. If that doesn't work, the short is somewhere else. If it does work, you need to test the resistance of the horns to see which is shorted out.

Temporarily, you can bypass the shift-lock with the white button under the keyhole thingy by the shifter. While this is not working, I'm not sure that you have brakelights, so be careful.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 AM

You're right, I don't have brake lights

Now I'm facing even more issues. Thought I'd disconnect a wire connected to where the shifter is and now the car barely goes in drive. It won't pass 3k rpm it seems and the D4 light keeps flashing.

I haven't tested the horn thing you mentioned as I just saw it. Might do it tomorrow but my main concern is getting this thing to drive normally.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:30 AM

check fuse box under hood, your cruise control will not work as well.... happened to me once... I think it was a fuse (20 or 30)

Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Reconnect that wire - maybe it's not part of the shift interlock circuit?

Put in a new fuse & blow the horn a bunch of times. If that does NOT blow the fuse, that rules it out as the cause. I'm saying this because it sounds like pressing on the brake pedal is what blows the fuse.

Press on the brake pedal repeatedlywithout trying to shift. Then check the fuse.

See what I'm doing is exercising parts of that circuit SEPARATELY. You want to keep checking the fuse to narrow down the SPECIFIC action that causes it to blow.

Reading thru your posts it sounds like you do several different things together before the fuse blows. You want to know which ONE thing causes it to blow.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 AM

Yeah I did that. Didn't post tho. I honked the horn and no issue there, fuse is fine. Every time I press the brake its still in park. its the instant the brake is pressed when the fuse under the hood blows. I've gone through almost 10 fuses already, worst day of the year for me.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 AM

Whoa .... it sounds like the wire that you disconnected has tripped limp-home mode. In limp-home mode, VTEC will not engage at all and the car will have no power. Put that one back!

The flashing D4 indicates tranny problems and codes and will happen when the car is in limp-home mode. If putting the wire back doesn't fix the D4 issue, you need to get the codes read.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Yeah, I think I have to go to the stealership to find those codes. Unless my mechanic can check but it's only him and one other guy. Hard for him to check mine when he has numereous cars each day. I did plug the wire back in but yeah, that didn't solve it.

Quick Reply: Can't Shift out Park & No Horn???