Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

which is cheaper? head gasket?or swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Default which is cheaper? head gasket?or swap?

Im having a little oil leak that tends to drip off the auto tranny case. Feels like oil, its brown. If it's a head gasket, would it be better just to get an entire new engine (H22)? I once heard a mechanic say he'd rather do an entire engine swap than swap out a head gasket on a honda any day. Or would it be more better just to pay the outstanding labor and buy a copper head gasket for the f22b1?
(If you have a labor estimate, do tell. Im just guestimating that it will be expensive)

I'm trying to get the vehicle stable enough (I mean reinforced) to withstand the 4-5500 RPM range without worrying about anything blowing up.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Default RE: which is cheaper? head gasket?or swap?

are u 100% positive its the head gasket? if it is its not hard at all to fix... u dont even have to tear down half the engine... just lift the head a inch... pull out the old and put in the new...

Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 PM

no need to worry about head gasket, I discovered it's almost 100% rear pump seal. (seal that attaches some hose to the tranny in the back, don't know how to describe it). Anyone know how much it is to replace? And what I can do to prevent this from happening again (beefing it up or something)?

thanx

Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 AM

pull ur tranny dipstick out and compare the coloration and texture... and smell it... and remember to wash ur hands very well after coming into contact with any oil

Old 02-20-2007, 01:55 PM

ok ,fluid is on the top mark on the dipstick, it's red, but i did not smell it. I'm taking it to AAMCO today to get a free diagnostic to see how much it will cost to fix it.

PS: just got my NGK plug wires today, looks great!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:13 PM

got back from AAMCO. turns out that the oil pan gasket had leaked oil everywhere, even on the tranny case. Thats why I thought it was the tranny. They said they'd replace it for $100 parts and labor. Cheaper if I supply parts. Anyone know of a good gasket manufacturer that makes a gasket so it can withstand 4-5k RPM range?

Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 PM

valve cover or oil pan? which one was leaking? Personally I'd just buy a rubber gaket (non cork) from the local parts store and bring it to them, or do it yourself if you feel up to it.... or be really lazy and just tell them you want the rubber gasket, fix the SOB and be done with it....

Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

buy an oil pan gasket from the dealer 25 dollars or so .. then you know that it will fit good ..
if i were you, once they replace the pan gasket ,i would clean everything up, and recheck it again in a few days to make sure there is ( are ) no other leak ( s ) ,,,,,
I would have thought the leak was from the rear main seal..

Old 02-21-2007, 06:53 PM

to tell you the honest truth, the mechanic said it was most likely the pan gasket. Plus, it's pretty dirty all around that area. I'm having the timing belt, water pump, and rear main seals replaced sometime in june (that's when i'm on vacation, no pressure on the mechanic).

Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 PM

it sounds like he's not 100% sure if it's the rear main or the oil pan gasket, but since it's cheap (comparativly speaking) to replace that gasket he figures he'll try it and if it doesn't work then he'll move on to the rear main.... it's the throw parts at it and see what works type of approach..... will he give you any sort of a discount on the rear main if the gasket doesn't solve the problem? or is he just milking some money?

Quick Reply: which is cheaper? head gasket?or swap?