Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Check Engine (8 flashes)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Default Check Engine (8 flashes)

Hey guys did a search and to no avail I write this post, hope ya'll can help.
Car:
97 Accord SE

diag:
-So I checked using the paperclip method I got 8 flashes.
-Poked around my distributer and the wires that lead to spark plugs
-discoverd that the fifth wire (non spark plug wire) was broken at the plug end.
- I attempted to solder it
-reset ecu
-stayed off for about 3 days
- back on again giving me 8 flashes with check engine.

What are the possibilities here? I will replace that broken wire and see if it makes a difference. If not according to the OBD trouble codes it can be the following:

P1359 8 CKP/TDC Sensor Connector Disconnection P1361 8 TDC Sensor Intermittent Interruption P1362 8 TDC Sensor No Signal
if it is any of the above do I just go ahead and change the whole distributer???

also,

Can it also be this???:

P0401 80 EGR Insufficient Flow Detected
any help is apperciated thanks [&:]

Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Engine (8 flashes)

First you have to decide between code 8 (8 short flashes)vs. code 80 (8 long).

Unplug your intake air temperature sensor (IAT). That should throw a code 10 which is one long flash. That'll help you recognize the difference between a long flash vs. a short flash. Running with that unplugged for a minute is pretty harmless to the engine.

Or take it to AutoZone & let them read the code with their scanner to give you the more specific 4-digit code.

I think in '97 the TDC sensor is in the distributor, and it's not replaceable by itself. So if you can't find a loose wire to blame it on, you need a new distributor.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM

Ok thanks for the repsonse, you made alot of sense here. but also is it possible that I need to adjust anything like cams, timing belt, etc...???

Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 AM

If it is a TDC issue and the 5th wire you are refering to is your Coil wire there is a slim possibility that it's arcing intermitently and throwning that code... Make sure you have good plugs (NGK) and if that wire is the coil wire and it's bad I'd replace the whole set then reset the ECU and see what happens

Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that's a good idea. Get rid of a potentially arcing bad wire first to see whether that caused it allfrom the beginning.

Soldering isn't a good way to repair those secondary wires. More likely the spark is 'leaking' thru the insulation and heating (soldering) will just do more damage to the insulation.

Cams or timing belt should have caused completely different problems. Don't mess with them (yet).

Old 07-10-2007, 03:48 PM

Cool, i'll keep you updated on the progress. thanks

Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 PM

Update:
Changed the faulty coil wire, and replaced the spark plugs...

Results:
Engine light came back on... 8 flashes... TDC error

Any more suggestions??

Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

First, go back & check the difference between long & short flashes. Or go to AZ & get the Pnnnn code. Don't go wild with distributors until you know whether it's the EGR in the first place.

Well, you've ruled out simple interference from a bad secondary wire, and the new plugs are probably not related to the error. Those would have been nice things to do anyway.

Check to rule out loose/corroded connections at the distributor wiring harness. I don't have a '97 wiring diagram to say what color is the TDC sensor.

The possibility of a bad TDC sensor gets more likely as you rule out the easier stuff. Check the resistance,but someone will have to chime into say which wires & what's the correct resistance. Got any red/brown dust inside the distributor? Can't get that TDC sensorseparately; you have to get a new distributor.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Thanks again Jim.

Done:
checked the wiring harness at dist. all seems to be in tip top shape. Even inside of dist., it was clean.

So yes, hopefully soeone can chime in about the wiring and resitance, I think i will go ahead and change distributor and put in a complete wire set.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Dont forget to rule out the EGR code just in case it's really beena code 80 all along.

A new distributor is kinda pricey if you don't really know that's it. Maybe some download pdf file of a Helm repair manual? I KNOW the wiring and correct resistance is given in that book.

Quick Reply: Check Engine (8 flashes)