Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Check Engine Light

Well, its finally happened to me. My check engine light came on. I was driving and it just suddenly came on. I had my defroster on, and it was on the cool. Anyways, I think it has something to do with this sound.

It has always made a noise when driving, and has always been worse when its cold and is in sync with the gas petal but it sounded different.
I noticed it a few days ago, but it was barely audible. Here is the only way I can describe it. If you were to take a playing card, and crumble it up so it is somewhat stuff but still has some of that rigdedness and you were to let it hit the spokes of a bicycle rim. It gets louder and faster when I press more on the gas but as soon as I let off, it stops.

I was thinking possibly my headers leaking? It sounds like its on the left side of the engine bay. I plan on taking it to Autozone to get the code soon, but just want to make sure its ok to drive.

Lastly, I *think* I remember a guy at Honda saying that on my year of Accord, if the check engine light ever comes on, Honda will fix it for free? Is that true or am I just dreaming? And if it is true, having my headers,intake, and exhaust, would that cancel out that warranty?
Thanks guys

Old 02-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Default RE: Check Engine Light

I haven't a clue what the problem is but you have high hopes for that free service... I'm pretty positive that is not true... if there is anything like that, they probably check the code that caused the check engine light to come on for free... but I don't think it's true

Old 02-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

There's some specific parts covered under a longer 'emmissions' warranty; check your warranty booklet. Probably the catalytic converter & ECUare covered for 80k miles. NOT unlimited & not a lot of parts included in this warranty.

How can we guess whether it's OK to keep driving until you tell us what code A-Z reads...

Old 02-02-2007, 01:43 PM

Yeah i thinking it might a emssions thing. Dont worry about the bolt on stuff on your car iam pretty sure it shouldnt void the warrenty.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:50 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Okay. Well I hope the 80k thing isnt true because I am at 81,xxx. I know we get a free tune up betweent 75-150k miles. I am off to Autozone now to get the code, I am thinking it may be that the headers need tightened or a new gasket because of the "tss tss tss" sound. I'll update when I get back. Thanks

Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well I got the codes! I forgot the plug in was behind the ash tray, so that took a few minutes! Anyways, here are the codes

P0170
Fuel Tran (or Trin) Bank 1

P0171
Sytem Lean

At first, they thought there was something lodged in there and said I should run some HEET through it. Then I mentioned I had headers, and thats what I thought it was, and they said your most likely right.

So, i'll be tightening them up, sometime this weekend, and see how it goes!

If you think its something else, lemme know!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:18 PM

KEEP US UPDATED IF THATS WHAT IT WAS,THANKS

Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well, there were two bolts very very slightly loose that connected the headers to the manifold, tightened them a bit, knowing that it most likely wasnt it and it wasnt. So next, I will have to put the car on ramps and see if its where the two pieces of the headers meet. I still hear that sound...arg. I will probably put some HEET in it too just to see what happens. Any other ideas?

*Edit*
It sounds like the noise is coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. It is absolutely killing my mpg by the way. I have gone 40 miles after putting in 4.5 galloons and have used half of the gas I put in, if not more...ugh. And this is going 55-60 mph.

HELP!!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:48 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright, well it is the gasket. Dad and I saw them leaking when I started it up. So, we tightened up the nuts, and it made it a smidge more quiet but the check engine light is still on. So heres my new questions.

Will a OEM manifold gasket work for my OBX headers?
If so, how much?
If not, where can I find an OBX header gasket?
And how much?

If I had Midas or some place like that put it on, any guesses on how much if I already had the gasket and if Meinike or some other place is cheaper? Thanks!

Thanks

Old 02-05-2007, 02:13 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright, found out the best gasket costs about $20. So now my question is, first, will it work with my OBX headers?

How much to get it put on by Midas or so?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light