Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

chip engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default chip engine ?

okay so i got my 2001 accord coupe 2 days ago , and i knew is was going to mod it in some way or form.... anyways some Asian guy at this car expo told me i should just start small , like putting a chip on the car, well I'm kind of new to this , so how would i go along the lines of getting this car chipped?..... he also suggested on getting the governor removed, i know this should make the car faster, but are there any draw backs to doing this ???

Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Supper Moderator

I thought asians knew stuff about hondas...lol To start with go get yourself a good cold air intake and a full exhaust. At that point you can look into getting a chipped ECU and get a new tune. Really depends on how much $$$$ you wanna drop into your accord

Old 06-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

haha, okay thanks , I'm already getting exhaust done, and i plan on investing in a cold air intake , as for $ , most of my paychecks going into this car, lol I'm just trying to get this car to beat a 2008 c300 , so any more suggestions ?? my honda has J30A1 3.0L VTEC V6 if that helps

Last edited by eurotuner; 06-16-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 PM

are there turbo kits for our cars? u will beat anything with a turbo!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

lol that's what i was thinking , but i'm saving the turbo for later, that and i don't think I'm anywhere never ready, to install something that complicated yet lol , im still a ***

Last edited by eurotuner; 06-16-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Supper Moderator

well if you go the money you can go all out. But as far as I know there isn’t much aftermarket parts for j series motors

Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

You may consider cams or even swapping in a J32 to replace your J30 -- there's potentially up to 270hp right there. If you wanted to get crazy, Comptech makes a supercharger for the J-series engines.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well to tell you the truth , im really considering the engine swap, ohh and friend offered to sell me his apex turbo , for a good price, but what kind of prep work must be done to this car in order to install the turbo, ohh and i guess this important , the honda is an automatic but if i have to im willing to get another transmission, but i prefer to stick with the automatic

Last edited by eurotuner; 06-16-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 PM

You will probably want to lean towards a manual transmission if you are wanting to put out some power, as well as it will be much stronger and way easier to make hold. Unless you wanna drop some real $ on getting someone to beef up and or rebuild your auto. I can tell you though, building an auto, especially that out of a honda accord, will be very expensive and finding someone to do and parts will be that much harder.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:36 PM

Also on the used turbo you are looking at... Look at cost of rebuild for that turbo, you will more than likely spend just as much after the rebuild as you would on a new turbo...
Coming from someone with previous experience with turbocharging, it's not for the faint of heart...Lol... My first kit took me foreveeeer to finish... There is alot more than just slapping together a kit and being done... You need to do research, and if you can afford it, buy a complete kit... I had help from my local dyno shop when doing mine, and it took me about a 9 months to get it all running right and tuned...

Quick Reply: chip engine ?