Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Crank Pulley

Drums do suck and theyre even worse to work on, however most of the braking is done in front. You're gonna need new pads sooner or later, so just throw the Hawks in when that happens. (You can check pad life with the wheel off and a flashlight, theres a holes in the calipers to look at the pad)

I dont blame your parents for now wanting you to put the pads in, they are the only thing keeping your car from running into something. I know plenty of adults how are competent mechanics, yet too scared to work on brakes.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 AM

I got new pads on 5-6onths ago so i guess i still have a while. Honestly I hear that brake pads are as easy to install as like a SRI. You just gotta know how to do them. I really wanna learn how to do my own so I don't get ripped off by mechanics.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 AM

Basically, you take the wheel off, take out the 2 slider pins with a 17mm socket/wrench, slide the caliper off and hang it on the spring with wire, pull the pads, grease the backs of the new pads and pop them in, compress the caliper piston with a C-clamp and put everything back on. Piece of cake!

http://www.filtsai.com/accord/brakes/index.php

Is your stepdad mechanically inclined? You could always ask him to watch/assist you so you can learn... better to learn young than old... Ive never had either of my cars worked on by a shop except for alignments since I've owned them. And that includes lowering, new clutch, valve adjustment, etc.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 AM

He was a big car person back in the day. My uncle (his brother) Was one of the best mechanics in Jersey he worked for mostly ford i think.He eventually quit because he got sick of it. He has his certificuit to train people and certify them. Too bad he lives really far from me so I cant really get to know him better. I loved going to his house for christmas because he has a 1973(I think) Plymouth Roadrunner that he brings to the car shows.It has POWER. Did you say you did valve adjustment by yourself?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 AM

yes, i did the valve adjustment last week... im gonna redo it this weekend because there is a slight tap near cylinder 1 at idle...

also do t-belts. once you familiarize yourself with the car and triple check everything before you start it, i feel confident in my own work.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Ah. How do you do a valve adjustment lol? Is it simple enough for me?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Vipers4Life

Ah. How do you do a valve adjustment lol? Is it simple enough for me?
If your stepdad wont let you do the brakes, hes not going to let you do a valve adjustment.

You simply loosen the 10mm bolt on the rock arm and and adjust the screw to the right "feel" as you slide a .010 feeler gauge through the intake valves and a .012 through the exhaust valves.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5211

Old 12-18-2008, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the thread. I wount tell my stepdad about anything I do ever again unless the car is in my insurance and name lol.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

You do realize that underdriving the accessories is going to suck right?

Underdriven alt = less efficient charging of the battery, short trips may require a jump if your battery realls sucks

Underdriven power steering pump = a little harder to turn, not much

Underdriven A/C comp = warmer a/c

You would get moAr! power if you just ripped out the P/S and A/C like it did and run the DX alt belt.
Ya ive thought about it for a while, the battery really gets me so thats why ill just get the stock radius ...thanks man

Old 12-18-2008, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Vipers4Life

Lol nobody is gonna take out their P/S. Actually he sjhould go for some headers.
you cant put headers on a J3OA engine unfortunatly

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley