Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Do hondas learn the driver's driving habits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:29 PM
jaybird
Unregistered
Default Do hondas learn the driver's driving habits?

I recently purchases my first accord (2002 EX V6, AT) and I am very pleased with my purchase. I however didnt know of the transmission problems that plague these model cars. I bought mine off a 3 year lease with 36k miles on it. (I have 90k on it now.) Good thing it was certified because I had to get my transmission replaced within 2 months of owning it. After getting the car back with a new transmission, it definately feels different. The pedal seems a little stiffer to push and the car doesnt accelerate as well as it used to. I am a fairly conservative driver but I do like to punch it a little when dealing with the general population who cant drive. I try to drive my car conservatively just because of gas prices. Going all out nascar on it seems to drain the gas tank and the wallet. Is it known for cars (in general) to lose their original feel when you switch out a transmission?

Also on another note, my bro has a 2000 EX V6 AT who has his original transmission (with 55k miles on it). His car however seems to move like a bat out of hell. When you stomp on that pedal, you take off. If my car were going head to head with my brothers car, he would surely win. His car seems to shift faster and at lower RPMs (staying under 3000 from 1st to 2nd gear) whereas mine revs higher before shifting (over 4000). Even shifting intervals seem shorter in my brothers car. He drives extremely aggressive, always stomping on the pedal. Even right after starting his car on a cold winter morning. I like to start out slow to allow my engine and tranny to warm up before hitting the gas to catch up with normal traffic. I want to treat my baby with care! However when I want to move, I dont like watching my RPMs fly and not move. Why else would I own a V6! I know honda's derive their power at high RPMs but a V6 should give me more torque and power from a standstill regardless. Also why does my bro's car perform so much better. Guess I should have gotten a manual. Does this mean the car has learned my way of driving and treats my automatic transmission shifting and acceleration as such? Is the way I drive just something the car is learning over time catering to type of driver I am (conservative with the occasional nascar)? Could this be something related to switching out the original transmission?

I am not sure what to think. All I know is I love driving my bro's accord more than mine. Please someone help! I love my honda but I feel like an old lady! I am sure everyone is getting a good laugh because a real enthusiast would have a MT and not a slack-o-matics. Oh well... [:@]

Old 03-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Do hondas learn the driver's driving habits?

Sounds like the TCM must be sending different signals telling the trans at what RPM to shift. I'm confused though....you WANT your trans to shift at a higher RPM if you want speed.
Transmissions also shift differently if you floor it. have you floored the pedal since you had your new trans?
I have never heard of a car "learning" the driver's driving habits. everything is controlled by computer settings.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:53 PM

I know what you mean, sometimes my car is sluggish off the line other times it explodes. Im sure it has to do with several different factors that we are unaware to, but im sure the comp of the car picks up on them.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:18 PM

that sounds more like it could just be something wrong withyour computer for the transmission and i've never heard of anyone's honda learning your driving habits...i do know that sometimes the gas mileage can go up depending on your driving situation....i've had times where i'm driving long distances at a constant speed like 50mph and i get like 29 - 32 miles per galloon and when i'm driving at normal paces i get like 22 miles per galloon.. Or maybe you need a fresh new oil change..dirty oil can slow your car down too you know..

Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Most auto trannys these days learn your driving habits. Whether that was true yet for a 2002Accord is another question.

I think it's true, in a limited fashion. There's stuff in my '98-'99 Helm book about the tranny learning how NOT to hunt back & forth between gears when you climb moderate grades.

In any case, it'll learn your behavior in a matter of days, not months or years. So it's not gonna remember the previous owner for very long.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:05 PM

thats a pretty scary thought when you think about it...technology is literally advancing too much...next thing you know they'll be able to have conversation with you the way technology is growing

Old 03-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

No, it'll just be a one-way conversation. They'll READ YOUR MIND & transmit the data to the Thought Police!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 PM

Lol no more running over squirrels..lol

Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

My 2000 V6 would take the tach up to 7k in second if I had it floored. That thing could move too! I also used to shift it from 1 if I wanted to take off from a standstill, but like you mentioned, MT is the way to go. It's too bad they didn't put a manual in the 6th gen V6's.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

It's too bad they didn't put a manual in the 6th gen V6's.
No joke. If they had, I highly doubt I would have bought the 4cyl LX 5spd. i would have hunted down a V6 with a manual

Quick Reply: Do hondas learn the driver's driving habits?