Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine help required. i want to add power but i'm not sure how

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Default engine help required. i want to add power but i'm not sure how

i just got my 94' accord.

i ****ing love this car. compared to 04 civic i'm used to, it has quite a bit more power.

but its not enough.

i don't want to go as far as a complete engine swap, but i want alot more hp and torque then i have now.

i have a limitid budget of 5 grand (6 if i need to spend it), the car is completely stock. it's got 210k miles, but it's all highway so the car is still in good shape and nothing has been replaced.

i could easily get turbo and have someone install it, but i'd rather see what i could do to the engine before that.

so if anyone could tell me what they did to their car, and how. i would really apprecaite it.

please

Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: engine help required. i want to add power but i'm not sure how

1. Language

2. Do you really want to put $5k into a 13 year old car with 210k on the engine? I just hit 230k and called it quits to throwing money at my 95.
If I were you and wanted the most bang for my buck I would go with the turbo.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:43 PM

sorry about the langue, i genarly type as i speak. i'll try to watch that from now on.

and yeah, i don't mind spending 5k on a 13 year old car.

the thing about turbo is that my insurance will increase if i add it, but i think it would be worth it.

the milage is tricky, its my grandpas old car; he was a mecanic for 20 years and took incredible care of the car. it actually runs better then the 04 civic i traded him for it.

i was looking at some junkyards a few weeks ago, and i found a mustang (not sure the year 90 to 95) the outsides crap but the engine is in moderate condition

its nothing that a good mecanic can't fix for me.

i know the engine won't fit without a few mods, and it'll cost me. so i think i'm going to settle on turbo.

but how much would headers and a few other little things help me?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you are sure you're going turbo, I would start piecing it together starting with the turbo and working your way down the line. Generally you're looking at a full 3" exhaust. Most people run a T3/T4 turbo. Some other turbo people who know a lot more than me will chime in eventually.

Side note - you were considering swapping a Mustang engine into your Accord? I don't think anything that gnarly has been attempted since the RWD Civette, you would get a major rep if you did that.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:32 AM

Is the car an auto or stick? If its an auto I would do a swap to H22, its within your budget. If you have a stick then maybe turbo, a whole kit is within your budget and depending on how mechanically inclined you are; could get it done in a long weekend.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM

i've abandon the mustang idea, too much money.

my accord is an auto, i'm notfamiler with the h22. i'de have to have one of my mecanic friends help me with that, how much more hp does it deliver then the stock 4 cylinder?

since it is an auto, will turbo not be a good idea?

i've never done turbo before and i'm sure with a little help i can put that in myself, but will it mess anything up?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM

i've been looking into the h22, seems like a good idea to me.

but where is the best place to get one?

and i still have the same question about the turbo, when iswap (if i can find one and afford it) the stock for the h22i'm thinking about changing the transmision to manuel, so that should make turbo and option again

does this sound like a good idea? (and where did any one that has swaped their engine get their h22?)

Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

i like the h22 swap idea better than the turbo, turbo on a car with 210k miles on it doesnt sound good to me.

I got my h22 locally off craigslist. the most reputable place to get it is hmotorsports.com

however the cheapest is tigerjapanese.com but i have heard some bad things about them.

as for turboing a h22 its not the greatest idea because it is a high compression motor, unless you have forged internals.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 PM

yeah, i reaserched h22's with turbo and decided it wasn't smart (it would definetly be out of my price range as well).

but thanks for the help. i'll look on craigslist tommorow

theres one on tigerjap- that looks good to me, (but i'd also have to buy the transmission)

heres the link for the one that looks the best

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.p...&Itemid=26

heres a cheaper one, but it still looks good to me (its a 97' someone told me i might have troubles putting it in)

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.p...&Itemid=26

can anyone tell what they think, it hard to tell the quality of something when you can't see it your self, but i'd appreciate it.

also, i like the feel of a manuel, but an auto would be better for me. so could i keep the transsmision or would i need to buy a new one?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:59 PM

Turbo can behard on auto, especially with high miles on it. You can always do an ebay search for h22 and you can find some automatics in there. Just know that a lot of power is lost in the slush box. A manual conversion would require a little more work like master cylinder, pedals, center console with shifter, dash gauge cluster (so it looks right), etc. I would also look for an OBD1 set up like your car has now.

Quick Reply: engine help required. i want to add power but i'm not sure how