Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine Performance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Default RE: Engine Performance.

ORIGINAL: tthom34

Haha Alright guys im gonna be frank, I do not want to show or race my car in any sanction what so ever, I own a 1999 2.3L 4cylinder accord, I mean seriously lets face it, I don't think I could do enough to that car in order to show or race it. All i want is a smoother, faster acceleration compared to what I have now of going from 0 to 40mph in 15 seconds along with a jerky gearshift, not to mention the fact that I have to sit at 4rpm in order to reach that speed in 15 seconds.. So can someone, please, give me a nice simple answer as to what I can add to my engine in order to achieve that. Thank you.
Nothing is going to show as great of an increase in acceleration as much as turbo or NOS. But, as far as the gears go, you could buy a performance clutch to give you a better catch when changing gears (if this is infact a manual, im not sure because i dont believe you put a specific on which transmission you have). Or perhaps improving gear ratios? I dont know how deep you want to get into this but there are many ways to increase acceleration, performance intake being one of the more simpler ways.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Get the block built by ERL Performance. Get a Superdeck 2 and 8.8:1 compression pistons, then a Garrett GT35 turbo system and set it to 28 psi. You should be pushing about 480-500 HP at the wheels ...... should be enough ...... oh yeah, expect to spend about $12k.

Then you are going to need a high speed head with +1mm valves, so add another $1500.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: tthom34

... 0 to 40mph in 15 seconds along with a jerky gearshift, not to mention the fact that I have to sit at 4rpm in order to reach that speed in 15 seconds...
EXCELLENT - Detailed information.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Sti..._128656/tm.htm
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/announcement.asp?id=12

Start by getting everything running properly stock. Its so far off I wouldnt plan on anything until you know your engine is OK.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 AM

I agree with Jim. Getting everything running perfectly according to stock should be your first priority. Take the car to a trusted mechanic and ask if theres anything that needs to be repaired. Chances are they will "find" something. If you have the repair records of the car prior to when you bought it that could be useful to you when undertaking this.

After you get the car up to stock opperating condition you can than think about mods. You know have to think about what you want. Do you want people to know that youve got a nice ride? Or do you want to pull up next to a G35 (For example) and blow them off the line without them thinking theres anything under the hood? Ill take you the route i went/am going.

Start off with the standard Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Hi Flo Cat. What thats going to do is give you a slight increase on the low end, and more power in the midrange. Expect to pay close to 1K, if not, more. This would be a noticable change in accel/power. Then you can change the cam gears in order to change the timing of the engine accel or top end. Swaping the pullys for either light weight or under driven, both will increase the low end acceleration.

Ive got a meeting to get to so ill continue this post later. check here for an extensive list of parts for your year honda http://www.ultrarev.com/

Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

If you want help/advice with doing the initial tune-up, holler. Or check out all the good stuff in our DIY board.

Lots of expertise here, willing to help,once we know what youre asking for.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM

well heres an answer lol

for a few hundered the max u will probly get is 20, it will takes at least 2000 to get any serious gain(besidess nitrouss)
i have looked into serveral perfromace shops, they all say the same no such thing as cheap horsepower

opps didnt see there was 2 pages lol

Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 PM

but most "show cars" just have a intake and exhaust and usually automatic
oh noes....i have intake and auto...does that mean my car is 2/3rds SHOW? [:@]

Old 07-18-2008, 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: 03Sleeper

but most "show cars" just have a intake and exhaust and usually automatic
oh noes....i have intake and auto...does that mean my car is 2/3rds SHOW? [:@]

LMFAO! that's funny!!!!

As to answer the question: if you want to spend a few hundreds, then go for intake, and exhaust...headers are no good on i4 unless turbo.... If you want to spend 3-4k then turbo or SC. I Turboed my car and so far I haven't regret it.How muchyou looking to spend?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: KevinAccord

...headers are no good on i4 unless turbo....

Actually, the headers are no good for turbo either since you need a turbo manifold instead.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:51 PM

headers are for us N/A junkies. :P

Quick Reply: Engine Performance.