Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

F22 Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Default F22 Engine Questions

Ok so the whole engine nomeclature still confuses me.... so I just got my 94 accord EX and I believe it has the f22A engine (correct me if I'm wrong...) but I noticed in a few other posts that people didn't seem to favor this engine... why? anyone got info or know a good site to see some side by side comparisons?

Old 02-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: F22 Engine Questions

well you just have to know all the engine codes there really is not rhyme or reason to it. the f22 is a great engine. but its a single overhead cam....so there is no dedicated high lift and low lift cams as there are in the H22 motor. the f22 reaches it peak power at around 6000 rpm whereas the h22 reaches its peak power at over 7000 rpm. the motor just rips. some turbo heads really like the sohc motor because it just does better under boost, it just depends on the application. but in general....all honda motors are outstanding forged crank and rods pent roof combustion chamber 4 valves percylinder, it just doesnt get too much better

Old 02-27-2006, 10:43 PM

The difference between the h and f series cams are that the fseries doesnt have 3 lobes on the exaust, it just has 2, and the reason why f series engines are better under boost is thicker cylinder walls then the h series. Which means the f series doesnt stress at 8psi or so when you could have problems when an h series. This is also why many people do a head swap instead of dropping in a new engine. But if you work the engine right it will be just as fast as a car with an h22 in it. Only difference is your sohc will have less rotational mass to deal with. Thats why im sticking with my f23 seeing as i found out how i can do a full rebuild for about the same cost as a full rebuild on a h22. ^_^

Old 02-28-2006, 01:52 PM

Where would I start to get some extra power (start cheap...) I don't make much money but I can do just about anythin mechanical (with a manual most of the time...) possibly a slightly more aggressive cam? adjustable timing gear?

Old 02-28-2006, 06:08 PM

well what do you have to start with? intake is the first thing to get. you will get more out of a cam and a true time gear if you have a full exhaust and header. so i would do intake header full exhaust gude cam aem true time gear unorthodox underdrive pulleys. gude throttle body, and maybe a dry 35 shot of no2......and thats gonna be pretty quick

Old 02-28-2006, 06:34 PM

sounds like about $1500.00 of fun (minus the N02; not a big fan of it...) I just wasn't sure if there was an area in particular that was known to be a bit of a bottleneck on the power that would be a cheap swap... Thanks for the suggestions though! she's bone stock right now...

Old 02-28-2006, 06:54 PM

The other question i had was wether or not the engine was worth putting the money into.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:39 PM

yea i got the same engine, but it might be a f22b though. But yea that is something i'd like to know to. i no the h22 swap is beat to death and i'm am looking for other options. id like to keep my engine but with 173,000 miles on a 96' who knows when it's just gunna give up.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:38 AM

Hello everyone sorry that i post in an old thread but i found it on google and did not look at the post date.

I think the best way to increase HP on F series (F20 or F22 no matter) is to put a trubo in.

I boosted my 98' Prelude and made 230HP and 290Nm of torq (213lb ft) in compare with stock 133HP and 132lb ft. I costed me about 1700 US dollers. Ofcourse i live not in USA and i dont know what prices are there. I live in Lithuania a small baltic state in Europe (you cac find it in google maps).
I think someone will be interested in small brief about setup.

So i fitted a Garrett T3 turbo and running 0.5 bar boost ~7.2PSI
370cc ijectors from nissan S13 ca18det turbo engine.
The turbo exhaust manifold was wielded by my friend specialy to fit and to make better exhaust gas path. (because i did not find one to by for F series)
Front mounted intecooler from BMW i think. Custom pipings made by the same friend.
Full stainless steal 60mm exhaust system with one muffler at the end. Not catalysatros or other **** that adds weight
And a programmed P06 honda ECU with OBD I.

more pix can be found here www.HP5.lt • Temos rodymas - HP5 by TURBOZONDAS [ thats our Honda Prelude 5gen club forum

Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Supper Moderator

you would make better power if you were using a h23 or f22a6 intake manifold. They have the dual runner set up. The f22a1/4 intake manifold you are using only has single stage runner set up.
All in all the h23/f22a6 intake manifold is bigger. Holds a larger volume of air....in return you make more power

What type of turbo manifold is that?

Quick Reply: F22 Engine Questions