Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

F22B2/f22B1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 AM

I have a 5 speed. I will check in the h22. I did end up get a f22b1 for now I have a short window of time to the car on the road. So I didn't desire to rush and I don't know what all needs to be done. Now have time to do some research so I can know what I really want.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:35 AM
Default F22b2 to a f22b1

Ok I swapped my f22b1 vtec engine into my 97 non vtec car and it was plug and play and my vtec and everything works! Everyone was telling me all of these unnecessary things I had to do but turns out all I had to do was switch the little exhaust pipe to my 97 the piece where the o2 sensor bank 1 is at and she's running great and vtec!!

Old 11-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Did you swap the ECU to match the engine? If not, then I don't know how the VTEC would be working. I'd be interested to learn...

Old 01-19-2021, 03:05 PM
Default This thread still even open ? Lol

Title lol...having problems need help

Old 01-20-2021, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, we usually don't bother "closing" a thread unless it turns into a flame-war.

If your questions are not exactly the same as this thread, it probably makes more sense to start a new thread. (BTW, Welcome)

Old 01-20-2021, 12:16 PM
Default Cool

Thank you for reply ..I think mine has to do with topic I bought a used 96 accord ..and I've got strange issues with it I believe it's been swapped from a b2 to a b1 .....fact I k ow it's a b1 in it but the vin says it's a b2 and it's got a 5 pin distro. Have a cps..in the distro...no signal making my car cut off and drop rpm open the harness behind the 3rd new distro to find out its wire jumped ..I really need help figuring out wtf is going on I can give any details needed but my car keeps dropping rpm.and cutting off

Old 01-20-2021, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Does your engine have a crank & TDC sensor at the crankshaft pulley on the front of the engine? If so, then maybe one of the wires to the distributor might have been jumpered in order to use that sensor.

You'll be over my head pretty soon, because I never owned a 5th-gen Accord. I think the F22B1 crossed over the OBD-1 / OBD-2 question, so you'll have to find out whether your B1 is OBD-1 or OBD-2. Then hope someone with experience swapping these chimes in.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:39 PM
Default Swap

It's got an obd2 connector I can run diagnostic on it but I get a vtec malfunction error an o2 error(I know exactly what that is it's a broken #2 sensor ) and a cylinder position sensor no signal error the ecu is hl5 which is the 96 accord but a b2 don't come with vtec I thought ...so wouldn't a non vtec ecu not put off an error for it ? I'll have my American mechanic buddy help me look for thos sensors I can post a pic with the choppy wire jumping and all the wire jumping is behind the distro I'm assuming due to the 7 pin to 5 pin distor rewire cause it's a b1 can you or anyone else pint me to someone mite k ow.more about this a forum? I'm not a car guy just getting into with this model my mechanic friend has been helping me learn

Old 01-20-2021, 07:43 PM
Default Sensor

I do have a crankshaft position sensor also we thought that's what the error was so we replaced that behind crank pulley? Hormonoc balancer? My friends civic has a tdc don't think mine has that I will ask tho

Old 01-21-2021, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think the "sensor" you have behind the crank pulley is actually both sensors combined. CKP & TDC. Seems like every couple years the scheme for those timing sensors changed.

If your ECU is looking for a VTEC engine (I'm assuming the car is an EX) but the installed engine is a -B1 that would explain the VTEC error. Normally you'd use an ECU that matches the engine.

Some people have even swapped heads, so if the engine block is stamped B22A1 it might have a VTEC head installed. Here's the 2 valve covers - which one do you have?

Quick Reply: F22B2/f22B1 Swap