Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

F23A/H22=G23 Vtec Build Guide

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 PM

I've heard of putting K20 pistons in with this build. brings up the compression ratio and the horsepower. this engine can put out 250 horsepower. weather thats at the crank or at the wheels. look at tuner magazine. thats where i saw this (for those who want this engine without turbo...like ME!) (I WISH)

Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by petef23a
I've heard of putting K20 pistons in with this build. brings up the compression ratio and the horsepower. this engine can put out 250 horsepower. weather thats at the crank or at the wheels. look at tuner magazine. thats where i saw this (for those who want this engine without turbo...like ME!) (I WISH)

if you really read the honda tuner build you will see that he spend 6k to make that 250hp. He is working on a budget not spending that much and wishes to have his power goals higher. It's not just the k20 pistons that make all the power...go reread that build there was ALOT more involved than just slapping in the k20 pistons. Just by adding k20 pistons is just pushing the engine to make close to 200WHP..same as a h22 with a lower redline.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by 6thgenaccord
i know what you mean. it sucks but what do you do. since your doing the swap what parts do u need to do the conversion? ive been looking online and there isnt much help with this swap.
well to just finish the swap and get it JSUT running. I need axles trans..5speed swap parts clutch, new engine/trans mounts and the timing components dizzy, timing belt and fresh water pump. Then she will be just running to work the kinks out and then I will slap the turbo on when all the kinks are worked out of the engine.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Default nooo!

I hit a snag on my build. My suspenssion just crapped out on me, setting me back 1000 bucks. On the bright side I get some Yellow Konis installed by thrusday! I'll upload the pictures so anyone interested can see my new stance.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
well when you do go boost you will see much more gains with the DOHC head..hands down. the f23 head will not flow as well as a h22 head. Also with the h22 head you have more tuning abilities since you have two cams that can be tweaked...the g23 set up is great for boost you will have much more top end power than the f23 head can offer. SOHC is for low end DOHC is for high end...when you have a 4cyl turbo you want the high end power. Now with the f23 block you get best of both worlds...you have a nice stroked crank( 97mm crans vs. the h22 90.7mm crank) and a head that is good for high end..that’s the whole point of a g22/g23 engine build
also your 150hp rating is from the crank not the wheels..so your f23 engine is really putting down something like 130hp to the wheels..when I say 150-160hp I mean to the WHEELS not to the crank…very big difference
if i do that swap from what i heard is that i would usually have to change the water pump is that true? also would it be worth just doing that h22 tranny swap also? im on a low budget so im tryin to make it all work. right now i am having trouble with my car. it keeps reving by itself so i figured it be the o2 sensor so i replaced the up stream and down stream but that didnt do the trick so i brought it in and the shop told me it was the egr valve and deleted the code and told me the problem should go away but still acting up so let me know if u do

Old 10-16-2010, 06:40 AM
Supper Moderator

yes you will need a f22/23 water pump which ever block your using you need that water pump and you will need a h22 water pump GEAR and have it pressed onto the f22/23 water pump. vtec has more teeth on the gears than non vtec does. It would be worth doin a h22/23 trans swap BUT it's not needed unless you’re a auto trans then you will need to do a 5speed swap). you can use a f series trans..just the h22/23 trans have shorter gears better to put the power down to the ground unlike the f series trans. Also you will need a h22 and f series water pipe. You will need to cut them in half and use the f22 water pump side and weld the h22 thermo side 2geather. You can also to use some type of rubber pipe to make the connection between the 2 then you don’t and thvae to weld...but it it’s the better bet for no leaks by welding.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Supper Moderator

sorry guys but this is going to be moved over to engine and internal this is more of a discussion than a DIY write up. But once the OP starts doing a full write up I will move it back.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:47 AM

sounds good to me, thanks man, I started to feel a little bad for leaving you guys hanging.
Originally Posted by g22cd5
sorry guys but this is going to be moved over to engine and internal this is more of a discussion than a DIY write up. But once the OP starts doing a full write up I will move it back.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

After a couple random posts in the middle, it might be better to save your info & write up a new thread for DIY. We can also split off (or copy) individual posts & re-combine to make a DIY thread without the unrelated stuff.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Default ecu selection for g23

I know the thread is somewhat on pause but im currently gathering parts for the same g23 vtec w/boost build. Im currently looking for a compatible ecu. What ecu are you (sanchdaniel) going to use on your g23? I have been researching this build for the past 6 months and cant find some concrete info. I want to keep it obdII so that i can pass emissions, its my daily driver. I know that most people are converting from obd II to I with the p13. I also know that i can put the AEM plug and play in with minimal problems for $1000+. I just want know know if there is a successful obd II g23 build or what i would need for one? Any help would be great.

Quick Reply: F23A/H22=G23 Vtec Build Guide