Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Factory fill?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Mulaka
Unregistered
Default Factory fill?

Hi guys. I have a 2005 Honda Accord with 50 miles on it. I am going to do the 10,000 mile OCI's after I get the factory fill out of the car. I couldn't find in the manuel how long Honda recommends leaving the oil in. Does anyone here know? Once I get it out I am going to replace it with Mobile 1 5w-20.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Default RE: Factory fill?

The average Honda manual spits out 5 to 7k miles per oil change... if that is where you are getting at.

Old 04-03-2005, 05:40 PM

Honda STRONGLY urges that you keep the factory fill in for 5000 miles. If you are going to use the 10,000 mile change interval after that, you need to use a full synthetic. In spite of what Honda suggests for oil change interval a regular dino oil simply cannot make it 10K, about 6k is the max.

Having said that, I changed the factory fill around 3200 miles (04 Accord 2.4l) and went to Mobil 1 0W20, now being changed to 5W20. Although this oil is capable of 10K I usually change it around 8000-8500 for a little safety margin.

Do some research! Most oils marked synthetic are NOT fully synthetic due to a quirk in the law. I favor Mobil 1 because:
1. It is 100% synthetic.
2. It is arguably among, if not, the very best.
3. You can buy it anywhere.
4 Discounts are available if you shop hard.

I do change my own oil & filter because I enjoy doing it and I know that it has been done correctly. Wal-Mart has reasonable pricing on Mobil 1 oil changes if you are not a do it yourselfer.

I am referring to the standard M1, the 5W20 is not available in the extended 15,000 mile change interval.

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/EC6E66AC43304241B95251ED99A587E7.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2005, 02:29 AM

Here is an excerpt from www.oddtodd.com of someone talking about Wal Mart's oil service. Even though this person in the process doesnt do honest things to Wal Mart but you will be shocked what Wal Mart did.

This isnt overly entertaining, but you seem pretty desperate for stories. So here is my Wal-Mart adventure. I am a teenage girl, with a 1990 Volvo. Its as super cool as it sounds. So, last winter break, my mother decides I need to get my oil changed. My friend Tiffany had just gotten her oil changed, and ended up getting ripped off 45$, so I decided it would be smart to drag my grandfather along to get the oil changed. So he decides to go the the new almighty SUPER WalMart so the car place is like *yah, we can do this..give us 15 minutes*. So me and grandpa are sitting there, sitting, sitting. And an hour goes by, so i go ask," is this done?". They say no, they need like an hour and half. So, I wanted to leave but we really couldn't, so we were stuck at the Wal-Mart hell for another hour and a half.

So I decide to go wander around and I find a few things for Christmas for my family and I just kind of waste time for an hour a half. So, I go back, and i am like "is it done yet?" and they say "NOPE! We need like 45 minutes more." ANd i was like "THAT IS CRAZY!" so i decide to go to that U-Scan thing (where u scan the stuff yourself) and but my like 4 things. So, I ring up this bag of popcorn, and that is fine and dandy. Then I ring up this pair of earrings and throw it in the bag. The wal-mart machine is like *please place the item in the bag." I'm like "it is already IN the bag!" so then the embarassing red light starts flashing and its like "somebody will help you soon" or whatever. So, I'm standing there 10 minutes. THen finally i was like "screw this" and i just put all the rest of my items in the back (like 3 necklaces, maybe $10 worth of things) and the red light stopped flashing. SO ha, WalMart! You may have robbed me of like 3 hours of my life, but I got my 3 stolen necklaces.

BUt after I stole it, I went back and i was like *is it done yet!* and they are like *haha, Volvo is a foreign car, we don't know how to get the oil cap thing open*. So me and grandpa are just like *wtf, why wouldn't you tell us that like 3 hours ago*. So then we left and I hate Wal-Mart.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:42 PM

Just great! Someone who feels that stealing is okay because they got lousy service.[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 04-05-2005, 10:32 PM

Wal-Mart do have some lousy service. One time i took my car to get a small flat repair and it took them 2hrs to get to my car. They service another car first that came after me i was suppose to be first but they service the car behind me. So i went out and told them and they moved that car out and move mine in. They said that they didn't know i was next.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Comon Civic EX, that probably was a family member, you Know! the commercials...all our family works here..

WheelBrokerAng[sm=burnout.gif]