Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

FLA Newbie 95 Accord LX w/Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default FLA Newbie 95 Accord LX w/Engine Swap

Hi,

Thanks for letting me in! I've recently become the proud owner of a non-working 1995 Honda Accord LX with a engine swap. What's the new engine you ask? Well I'm TOLD that it's a VTEC from a 2000 Accord, but I can't tell for sure and the previous owner does not know!

My hobbies you ask? I like using my jet pack to pick up DD coffee and I also enjoy hitting on chicks in my usual DISGUSTING and creepy fashion!

Why is it non-working? I bought the car with a wiring harness that had been spliced into infinity and had be tinkered with so many times that the owner had given up.

I replaced the engine wiring harness yesterday and have just 3 plugs remaining. 2 plugs for the 1 plug distributor (I believe I need an obd1 to odb2 conversion harness to rectify that) ... and then a plug with 3 wires ... hmmm...

So I'm here to research what wires need to be run where in order be sure whoever did the swap converted for the VTEC correctly and then to possibly to get a positive ID on my engine!

Thanks for letting me into the group! Any suggestions or links to posts greatly appreciated!

Woooh! U guys are awesome already!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

If we know what engine it is we will be able to help a lot better. On the front of the engine where the block meets the transmission there will be a stamp and will be a letter followed by 2 numbers then another letter. If its the engine out of a 2000 Accord it will start with F23.

Also if its VTEC it will say it clearly on the valve cover.

Here is a picture of where the stamp is located.

I believe the other sensor you are referring to is the idle air control. Its on the front of the intake manifold right?

Old 03-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the quick reply! Looks like it's not a year 2000?
I went out and took some quick pics (big storm rolling into N. Fla right now) and it appears that something is not right with the old owners info?

Below is a pic of that engine code:

One more:

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by chrisville37; 03-25-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Edited to reduce picture size for better readability.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm well you got a interesting situation here. To me it looks like in the pictures it says "F22B" and doesnt have a number after the B. The F22B was a DOHC non vtec engine only sold in japan. But it has a VTEC head on it so maybe your engine was put together from two different engines. The head looks a lot cleaner than the block, so I'd say its a good possibility.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oops, sorry about doing the Newb thing and posting HUGE pics. I'll be better next time! And that plug with the three wires comes out of the same area of the engine wiring harness as the two plugs for the dizzy.

Here is a pic I just took ... I'm holding the plug in question and have marked all the other unplugged plugs attached to the engine wiring harness :

Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So I wonder what engine I have? The owner used to live in Miami and had the work done there by his friend, but says it's been a few years and doesn't remember much about it. Maybe I should just follow the VTEC wiring instructions and hope it goes ok? I would have just followed the wires from the previous harness, but most of them were hanging loose and disconnected ... the mystery continues!!! Kinda feel like sherlock on this one ...

Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

What wiring harness are you using now?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I bought a used 95 Accord LX Manual harness from ebay. It matched up perfectly with the old one when I laid them out on the sidewalk (minus the parts that were hacked up or miising of course).

Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah the problem is the distributor on the 95 non vtec engine(what the wiring harness is from) is different than the distributor on the 95 vtec head.

I'm not sure if you could just get a non vtec distributor and put it on the head(I'm guessing you probably could). Or you could play a really fun game of cut and splice to make this one work.

I would probably get a cheap used 95 non vtec distributor off ebay, see if it works, if it doesnt cut the connectors off it and splice them onto the distributor on there(obviously after the headache of figuring out which wire goes where)

Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Good idea! I think I may just go to the U-pull it junkyard and see if I can't just cut some wires with plugs attached, splice them, and then plug and play.

So are you saying you think my engine is a 95 VTEC? It would be great to be able to know!

Quick Reply: FLA Newbie 95 Accord LX w/Engine Swap