Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Gettin' the most outta the K24A4.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Gettin' the most outta the K24A4.

Big race cams dont give good power at low rpm either, and the fuel efficiency would be gone too. And VTEC works very good with turbos. Why wouldn't it? Turboes tend to like higher rpms, just when the high cam kicks in.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:21 PM

but the point that is always made on the turbo is turbo lag, by it being non vtec the turbo lag is reduced, and why the low end sucks on racing cams is cause obviously you arent going to be driving 20 miles an hour through housing in a car made for a drag strip. And the other reason is cause an agressive cam has such long durations and high lobes you arent getting enough air in at low rpms so its kinda useless but with any turbo setup idea turbo starting point for general racing is maybe 250rpm above warmup start idle..... give or take anyways..... but if a turbo kicks in at 1500 rpm youre going to be faster then the guy with the vtec engine whos turbo is kicking in at 3700rpm.
Or be evil and keep the vtec cam and make a make alterations to your turbo that blasts air into the exhaust side of the turbo when you want it to....... so it spools up when your vtec lobe hasnt engaged yet ^_-

Old 07-15-2006, 07:24 PM

The main problem i've heard with vtec and turbos (besides the added turbo lag) is that when the aggresive cam profile is active, there is a lot of boost just blowing in the through the intake valve and right back out the exhaust valve due to the valve overlap.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:22 PM

you have to think of it this way though, that boost that leaks through is also aiding you in maintaining the turbo boost, but yeah, behold that downside of a sohc where you cant retard the exhaust and advance the intake lol

Old 07-15-2006, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

http://www.turbo-kits.com/element_turbo_kits.html

Since the Element and Accord share the same engine (K24a), would this is feasible?

EDIT- Universal Turbo? Link: http://www.overboost.com/obs/product...e=Turbo%20Kits

Old 07-15-2006, 10:46 PM

piping would be all wrong... and the turbo manifild my be to close to the firewall remember turbos GLOW red at night after a hard run... and K24 is a DOHC

Old 07-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Gettin' the most outta the K24A4. All Members Please Read This POST...THANKS

Hi Guys!

You know what! That was and is a Great Discussion there amongst you all and I want to commend you all for being Very Adult as you all usually are about 99% of the time..
I was in another forum that I contribute to as a Mod and with-in the 1st 4 posts there would have been an all out War with the words about this...all of you are great contributors in here and All of us MODS and The Admins Thank You for being what you are "The Best HAF Members ![sm=smiley32.gif]

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-15-2006, 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: marbro

but the point that is always made on the turbo is turbo lag, by it being non vtec the turbo lag is reduced, and why the low end sucks on racing cams is cause obviously you arent going to be driving 20 miles an hour through housing in a car made for a drag strip. And the other reason is cause an agressive cam has such long durations and high lobes you arent getting enough air in at low rpms so its kinda useless but with any turbo setup idea turbo starting point for general racing is maybe 250rpm above warmup start idle..... give or take anyways..... but if a turbo kicks in at 1500 rpm youre going to be faster then the guy with the vtec engine whos turbo is kicking in at 3700rpm.
Or be evil and keep the vtec cam and make a make alterations to your turbo that blasts air into the exhaust side of the turbo when you want it to....... so it spools up when your vtec lobe hasnt engaged yet ^_-
How about using an aftermarket vtec cam? Maybe even one designed for turbos? I'm gonna keep my vtec with turbo, it seems to work pretty good. Surprises alot of people.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 AM

vtec gives you at most 10HP over stock on an I4 in the accord. I would guess that since the .1L increase in tne 6th gen I4(98-02) aco****s for the extra 5hp given to the 6th gen. The intake and exhaust account for 10 of the 15 hp increase. People often swap the EX intake and exhaust onto the non- vtec motor and get 10hp more.

For the V6 6th gen cars swapping in the CL-S cams gives you about 6hp or so......The J30a also responds quite well to FI and it is not required to move the vtec engagement point a super charger and exhaust on a j30a will result in a 60hp increase in performance...

Old 07-16-2006, 12:54 AM

Hey Chiovnidca, do you currently have turbo? I was just wondering at what RPM your turbo really gets spooling if you have VTEC on the motor. I know the boost doesn't show up untill about 3k on my car (no vtec). I've gotta get rid of some of this lag...

Quick Reply: Gettin' the most outta the K24A4.