Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Help! I need to make my accord faster by saturday!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Help! I need to make my accord faster by saturday!

Hey guys,
I race a 94 Honda Accord at the local racetrack every saturday, its a 1/4 mile oval track. My car is gutted with all unnecessary weight removed and I even have a nice 6 point roll cage. Heres the problem: I'm getting lapped by Saturns! The rules require that we can't make any modifications to the air box, exhaust manifold or intake manifold and we have to keep the stock motor......but thats it! I have too much money into the car to get something faster so I have to work with what I got. How can I get some cheap horsepower....fast??

Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Feel free to text me any time 219-781-0709. My name is Jeff

Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 AM

saturn > accord simply because of weight. my buddy had a saturn, things are all plastic lol. if you can strip anything non crucial from that car, do it!

describe modifications to air box? can you run a K&N filter? also, you didnt mention an exhaust, i wouldnt run open header on the the car. atleast have a decent piping put on. 2.25" would be sufficient. muffler is up to you. keep that engine rollin as best you can. tune it up. plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. oil change often, also a cooler engine will run better, maintain the cooling system. maybe run a thinner mix. 60/40(water,coolant) just change it more often. maybe delete the egr?? upgrade fluids to synthetic!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

We have to run stock manifolds : ( and the car is as light as it's gonna get. We have to run straight water and I deleted the AC. I am running MSD wires, new spark plugs and clean injectors. I ordered a cam gear last night and I might do some porting and polishing

Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Supper Moderator

can you build the engine with Honda OE parts? Cus you could always do a frank g22/23 set up with k20 pistons. That is using all Honda OE parts and you can get around the 170ish hp with a tune...can you even tune your ECU?

Cut your balancing shaft belt that can help rev up little bit faster. Tighten your TB cable so your TB plate is fully open at full throttle. Run 93octane fuel. swap to a shorter geared tranny h22/23. Use a h series TB...thats all I can think of right now

Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

93 octane won't do anything unless you change something to take advantage of the octane. Like higher-compression pistons. Even advancing your spark timing will do a little bit to take advantage of the higher octane. Depends on what you're allowed to do.

Read the rulebook carefully & look for loopholes. Like using a Honda OEM manifold from a different Honda. I forget which year/version but some exhaust manifolds breath a lot better than others.

Last edited by JimBlake; 06-28-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 AM

if you wanna go quick and cheap, find the head and all manifolds/parts from a good running 92,93 accord ex. that would be the f22a6. it has a factory agressive cam, good flowing intake manifold and great flowing exhaust manifold, not to mention the head flows way better than the one you got. swap is easy too. use f22a6 headgasket. pretty straight forward. oh and get the pt6 ecu from the same accord.

this is of course if rules allow it. its all oem!

what about deleting the power steering?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by clutch811
if you wanna go quick and cheap, find the head and all manifolds/parts from a good running 92,93 accord ex. that would be the f22a6. it has a factory agressive cam, good flowing intake manifold and great flowing exhaust manifold, not to mention the head flows way better than the one you got. swap is easy too. use f22a6 headgasket. pretty straight forward. oh and get the pt6 ecu from the same accord.

this is of course if rules allow it. its all oem!

what about deleting the power steering?

I should be able to find one fairly easily as I own an auto recycling business and I have a lot of connections. I have a 1990 F22 in my yard right now. Is there anything I can use from it?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by g22cd5
can you build the engine with Honda OE parts? Cus you could always do a frank g22/23 set up with k20 pistons. That is using all Honda OE parts and you can get around the 170ish hp with a tune...can you even tune your ECU?

Cut your balancing shaft belt that can help rev up little bit faster. Tighten your TB cable so your TB plate is fully open at full throttle. Run 93octane fuel. swap to a shorter geared tranny h22/23. Use a h series TB...thats all I can think of right now
Help me out here....I'm a newbie to the honda lingo. Whats a TB? What does an h22 come in? Sorry about the stupid questions but I'll catch on quick.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Supper Moderator

TB = Throttle body
h22 came from preludes

Like clutch said you could use a f22a head on your block since they do flow much better. Like he said find a f22a6 head and find then find a f22a4 exhaust manifold (the tubular style) and intake mani from a h22. Swap the upper part of the h22 intake manifold onto the f22a6 runners. So at that point you have the bigger TB. Also like jim said find loopholes you might be able to do more than you think

Quick Reply: Help! I need to make my accord faster by saturday!