Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Honda Accord 09 LX-P sudden acceleration issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Default Honda Accord 09 LX-P sudden acceleration issue

Hi guys!

I have an issue in regards of sudden acceleration. If I really stomp it (accelerator), I
can feel a lot of hesitation of accelerating in my car. I've never seen this problem i
n other cars. - (I have owned honda civic 2003, hyundai elantra, and vw rabbit 08).

If I step on the accelerator slowly, the car gets accelerated ok. (not fast but it's ok since I didn't floor it.) However, I push it little be firmly and strongly, the rpm goes
up to 6 (oh my god) but the speed is not getting increased properly. (it's not almost
going up for a while and slow acceleration).

This problem is typically observed around 80mph but I can observe this issue at low
speed sometimes.

Do you have any idea on this issue? or any experience? I suppose that my stupid
dealship will say "show the problem to us" or "it's normal" and I want to get any hint
to convince them.

Also, if it's normal behavior, give me some "peace of mind".

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:46 PM

Well, I own a 2010 Accord EX 4dr, and well it's quite logical that if you're cruising at 80mph your gears are pretty high up there, and if you decied to floor it, then your car automatically shifts down to gain more push from your engine making your rpm reach higher, and the speed gain would probably be slower because your car is bone stock? but gaining speed from an already pretty fast speed takes longer to climb... But also when I floor it in 1st fear I noticed the lag in power and push too, but hopefuly this helped, goodluck

Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 PM

Also, are these cars throttle by wire??? You cant expect your car to accelerate like a crotch rocket once going that fast... The car does not have the horsepower for high end acceleration... I know how you feel... The acceleration from 0-80 in my 97 is much much better than 80+ mph... Im not trying to sound rude, but what were you expecting out of a 177hp and 3433lb 4cylinder stock accord???

Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by mbaik
Well, I own a 2010 Accord EX 4dr, and well it's quite logical that if you're cruising at 80mph your gears are pretty high up there, and if you decied to floor it, then your car automatically shifts down to gain more push from your engine making your rpm reach higher, and the speed gain would probably be slower because your car is bone stock? but gaining speed from an already pretty fast speed takes longer to climb... But also when I floor it in 1st fear I noticed the lag in power and push too, but hopefuly this helped, goodluck
I guess the 200+ pound difference in the 2010 versus the 2006 I4 leave a bit to be desired in acceleration. I had the 2006 Accord and the 0-60 acceleration, braking was nothing short of phenomenal. My 2010 EX is showing quite a difference from that

Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 PM

should not be unusual unless you have done some real nice upgrades increasing the speed from 80mph to lets say 100 would generally follow the same pattern. have a 96 civic and this is the same way this works.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, it is drive by throttle by wire, my 06 has that so I expect newer models do too. What I know from my 06 is that if I stomp the heck out of the gas pedal very quickly, the RPM will shoot up to +6000rpm right away and the engine suddenly "wake up" but the acceleration is rather very slow and steady. There is definitely a lag between RPM and and speed. However, at -30mph and I stomp the gas pedal, the car will pretty much jolt and speed up very fast... may be Honda made it so that at certain speeds emergency accelerations can be used.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Not exactly, you just do not have the hp and tq to have that seat of the pants acceleration over 75+mph... Most cars will jolt at a 30mph roll...

Old 07-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Default Maybe your clutch is slipping?

That is the only explanation I can think of when the engine speeds up, but the car doesn't. Do you hear a grinding noise? How old is your car anyways? The clutch on Honda's usually last a long time. When I took the clutch off of my 2000 honda accord the clutch disk was actually in very good condition (replaced it anyways of course), the pressure plate fingers took some wear, but that was because the throwout bearing was f-ed.

Last edited by g22cd5; 07-13-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Its an automatic bro... Pretty sure he was just expecting way too much out of the accord... Granted they run good, but they dont have the capability of being that fast bone stock...

Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM

yup, accords are meant for economy and reliability. Although they are not fast, they deffinitly get the job done in the passing department. You should of went with a manual transmission. The automatic takes the fun out of driving...

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 09 LX-P sudden acceleration issue