Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

horrible running honda! need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Default horrible running honda! need help!

i have no idea how to describe it, so take a look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dj9b_JCT2k

but now it's even worse, it will completely cut out and if i go any more than almost no throttle (any more than a slight touch) and it will cut out. the tach still spazzes out

distributor, cap, rotor, all about 2 days old, spark plugs a few hours old, and the coil is known good and working

anyone got any ideas? i hope so!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Default RE: horrible running honda! need help!

update:

tried another coil... solved the tach spaz and misfire issues... but it still throws the code 15 (ignition output signal) and refuses to start about 85% of the time. when it does start, it runs for about 5-10 seconds and dies with a light.... so yeah... any ideas?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:13 PM

What year/model is it?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:18 PM

92 accord ex, but the engine is F22A6 out of an 93 SE i believe, you might remember my swap over the summer...

Old 01-09-2007, 02:23 PM

I'd probably start by cleaning IACV and EGR and Throttle Body (that alone should smooth things out) It could be your Main Relay cuts the fuel out periodically then won't allow it to start..... I'd go about just cleaning those parts first and see what happens.... is it doing anything else "funky"?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 PM

they're all clean and/or new(er).... it no longer misfires or spazzes out... it does just seemingly randomly dies... but it runs PERFECT until it dies... a nice idle around 800rpm for about 30 seconds and then it sounds like someone turned it off, but with a check light... code "ignition output signal"

and i know the symptoms of the main relay, no whirring or clicking when key is in position two, it does those... it just... NO SPARK

Old 01-09-2007, 03:24 PM

It just simply looses spark and won't start? I'd assume that all of your connections are tight/clean... When it doesn't start do you get spark from your coil to your distributor? Does your temp sensor read normally? I seem to recall a similar issue and someone had a problem with their TW sensor (temp sensor near the thermostat) but I can't recall how to test it....

Old 01-09-2007, 03:31 PM

the only thing that is anywhere near abnormal is that check engine light...

Old 01-11-2007, 01:47 PM

after the car sits overnight, it runs just fine.... for a couple miles.... any idears on that one?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM

JEEZ!! breakthrough!!!! it ran flawlessly for almost an hour.... wanna hear the catch? it wasn't moving... as soon as we drove it, it died a mile or so up the road... what changes while youre driving? speed sensor! anyone want to back me on the fact it may be related?

Quick Reply: horrible running honda! need help!