Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Hydro locked engine help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Mid
Newest Of Newbies
Default Hydro locked engine help.

Honda accord 2.4l k24a4

I recently was stupid and dident see a flood of water when I was heading home yeserday and my CAI injested water. The car stalled out and I pushed it home. Took the intake pipe out and took a peek into the intake body and saw a nice puddle of water. I got a shop vac and sucked the most of it out and siphed the rest. I took the sparks out to see if it made it to the block and it did. The plugs had signs of water. I set them to dry and then drained the oil for signs of water which was also present. Put fresh new oil and new filter and kept the plugs out to start cranking the car and let the water shot out. I got one big bust of water out of cylender 1 but that was it and the engine barely sounds like it's rotateing and at times will stop. Any ideas on how I can fix this...?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Supper Moderator

time for new engine. I did this with my h22a4...not a fun day

Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Mid
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah iv never been so pissed at myself. This being my first car and all I was haveing fun with it but now this and I just feel like crap

Anyways...

Any ideas on how to go about getting a no motor? Is is best to do it by dealer?
Should I be getting the exact k24a4 motor or are there other options.

Last edited by g22cd5; 07-06-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

When the sparkplugs are removed, the engine's cranking sound is SUPPOSED to be strange since there's no compression. Don't condemn it just yet.

Changed oil already? Continue cranking with the plugs out to get even more water OUT of the cylinders.

Put the plugs back in & try it. Whaddya got to lose? If it runs, then let it idle for 10 minutes (listening for strange noises). Then change oil again if it sounds OK.

Granted, it's pretty likely damaged. But right now you can't make it worse.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Mid
Newest Of Newbies

Well i know it's sopost to sound weird but the thing is that it's barely rotateing when I crank it. With the plugs out and new oil in I try cranking it to get water out but it barely rotates so I don't think it's moving fast enough to shoot water out. At times it would stop roateing all together but I could still rotate the pully by hand which a wrench and then it would rotate slowly again. Idk what's wrong... Right now the battery is dead from trying so much I guess.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Supper Moderator

when I did this to my h22 I had to beat my pistons out of the block. I also had a bent rod

Name:  DSCN2412.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  125.4 KB

Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mid
... it's barely rotateing when I crank it...
Right now the battery is dead from trying so much I guess.
Well, if it's barely cranking after you charge the battery, then that's a bad sign.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Mid
Newest Of Newbies

i'm going to try a new battery tomarrow. See if there is any change in how it cranks.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 PM

good luck but does sound like engine damage. water does not compress like air. if the car shuts off from hydro lock leave it alone next time. dont try to get it started again. get it home or where you can work on it. take the manifolds off and plugs out and get the water out first. some wd40 and fresh oil. maybe some seafoam should get you going again with some care as long as it didnt get damaged initially.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Mid
Newest Of Newbies
Default Rip

alright well my brother came and did a compression check on the pistions...they are only doing about 30-40psi of pressure, which is **** so my guess is bent rods. so new rebuilt motor it is for this k24a4...

im so pissed... but anyways... any ideas on how i can get a good priced motor and i neeed to find a place to do the install here in south florida if any one knows anyone around here.

Quick Reply: Hydro locked engine help.