Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

J32a4 Swap into 03 Accord with K24?

  #1  
Old 05-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Arrow J32a4 Swap into 03 Accord with K24?

I have an '03 Accord EX with a 2.4 that's lost compression, and a wrecked but complete '06 TL with a J32a4. Could I bother you good folks for a list of parts I would need to swap to make this work? I've seen lots of threads on other sites where people generally try to talk folks out of it when they have just the engine. I have the whole car. Am I correct that that changes things?

I have extensive mechanical experience, but not the technical experience specific to Honda that makes me comfortable doing this without advice from someone who's done it.

Thanks in advance.
 

Last edited by Kylewipf; 05-24-2019 at 08:17 PM.
  #2  
Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 PM
JimBlake's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 17,456
Default

True, there's a lot of little stuff that makes it a pain especially when you only have the engine/transmission. Having the whole donor car helps but it's still a job that's not for the faint of heart. Your extensive mechanical experience will be good.

There's a couple people around here that know more about it than me. Hope Shipo chimes in...
 
  #3  
Old 05-24-2019, 10:26 PM
shipo's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,514
Default

Originally Posted by Kylewipf View Post
I have an '03 Accord EX with a 2.4 that's lost compression, and a wrecked but complete '06 TL with a J32a4. Could I bother you good folks for a list of parts I would need to swap to make this work? I've seen lots of threads on other sites where people generally try to talk folks out of it when they have just the engine. I have the whole car. Am I correct that that changes things?

I have extensive mechanical experience, but not the technical experience specific to Honda that makes me comfortable doing this without advice from someone who's done it.

Thanks in advance.
A few comments:
  • There is no such a thing as a J32A4; for the 2006 TL the car came with a J32A3.
  • As for swapping the TL engine, transmission, and necessary engine electronics, if it has been done before (HIGHLY doubtful), my bet is the swap effort ended in failure.
  • Given what you have, put a used 2.4 in that Accord, sell it, and then buy a Gen 7 V6 Accord, it will cost you a lot less and take a heck of a lot less time to do.
 
  #4  
Old 05-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
A few comments:
  • There is no such a thing as a J32A4; for the 2006 TL the car came with a J32A3.
  • As for swapping the TL engine, transmission, and necessary engine electronics, if it has been done before (HIGHLY doubtful), my bet is the swap effort ended in failure.
  • Given what you have, put a used 2.4 in that Accord, sell it, and then buy a Gen 7 V6 Accord, it will cost you a lot less and take a heck of a lot less time to do.
I kind of thought that may be the case. It's for my 17 yr old daughter, so I think I'll do the used engine and let her drive it. Thanks for the quick response.

So, the TL engine is a J32a3, but just with fewer hp than the '04-'05 models?

What should I ask for the engine and transmission from the TL? I think I'll sell that to fund the repair of the Accord.

Thanks again!
 
  #5  
Old 05-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Thinking of just doing a complete rebuild. What is the best quality & value brand to buy?
 
  #6  
Old 05-25-2019, 07:34 PM
shipo's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,514
Default

Originally Posted by Kylewipf View Post
Thinking of just doing a complete rebuild. What is the best quality & value brand to buy?
Way better, faster, cheaper to buy a low mileage 2.4 from a junk yard and put that in.
 
  #7  
Old 05-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Ok. Thanks for the advice.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
neslider
General Tech Help
2
08-18-2013 12:38 AM
camshaft310
Engine & Internal
5
04-20-2011 03:38 PM
1991AccordLX
Engine & Internal
1
07-25-2008 10:11 PM
stefanb21487
Engine & Internal
8
06-02-2007 03:50 PM
legionofone
Engine & Internal
49
12-21-2006 10:53 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: J32a4 Swap into 03 Accord with K24?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.