Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Lost power while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Lost power while driving

I have a 1996 Honda Accord LX 2.2L automatic. While driving I heard a small pop and rpms dropped to zero. I lost power steering, brakes and had to be pushed off the road. Someone passing by said that it could be my starter relay. Is this possible? All my belts are intact. I just replaced timing belt and water pump recently. Starter is brand new. I have overheating problems and oil leakage and need to replace the valve cover gasket, distributer O ring and the radiator. But as far as the car shutting down, any thoughts from anyone where to begin?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You should remove distributor cap, turn engine over and confirm distributor rotor is turning. If starter will not turn engine over, then engine can be manually turned w/ a 19mm socket, 18" extension, and ratchet through the driver's side fender well w/ wheel turned to provide room for ratched.

It is possible timing belt broke or slipped causing engine to shut down. Hopefully not, but damage to engine is likely if it did.

The starter or starter relay did not cause engine to quit.

It is possible an electrical problem shut the engine down and disabled starter (you dont' say whether engine will turn over or not), but first confirm crankshaft and camshaft are connected by timing belt as suggested above.

good luck

Old 04-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks TexasHonda. I went back to the car in the daytime with a friend. I couldn't tell the night that it broke down, it was dark. But the timing belt did break. At first I didn't think that was possible cuz I did the timing belt & water pump not that long ago...it shouldn't have broken and it was a decent brand. My friend was a mechanic until recently. He says I should get a new head. I will have to look for one online...

Old 04-06-2015, 02:06 PM

Just for our education a few questions.

What brand of timing belt? Did you replace tensioner parts?

Sorry for your troubles.

good luck

Old 04-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I can't remember which brand of belt it was and I am not sure if he replaced the tensioner parts or not. Does anyone know if when the timing belt breaks, is it just the head that needs replacing or do other parts of the engine get damaged as well? I just want to make sure before I purchase a rebuilt head that it will indeed fix the problem. I know it's tough to say without seeing the vehicle but if someone could tell me other possibilities of things that could be damaged due to a timing belt breaking that would be great. I just want to know what I am possibly getting myself into before I spend money on parts. My friend was a mechanic up until recently and now he works in an office and can only work on it on his days off, so he hasn't been able to get in there and see what's going on. Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-13-2015, 01:29 PM

Most times only the valves in the head are damaged. Since yours quit immediately, additional damage is less likely. Only way to know for sure is to inspect w/ boroscope or pull head. It is possible for pistons to be damaged by valve impact.

See Online Manuals links in DIY section for a download manual.

good luck

Old 04-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I now have a new issue. My mechanic friend advised me that a new head should probably take care of it and that I need to look for F22B2. I went onto ebay and ordered this head:

Rebuilt 2 2 Honda Accord SOHC Cylinder Head POB F22B2 F22B6 1994 1997 | eBay

But shortly after I did, I realized that the description didn't say whether this head fits a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder car. I called the seller and he asked me for the casting number, because this particular head will only fit one with casting POB. He asked me to check my casting number and I wasn't sure where to look. I found a number down below where the intake is that says USA POA-15. But it seems kind of low to be the head. I don't know where the head ends and the bottom of the engine begins. I live 50 miles from where my friend is, and I am basically out in the woods...so he can't just run by to check for me. No shops nearby and the car is obviously not driveable. Can you give me a more explicit explanation of where I should be able to find the casting number? Or does the head need to come off first? My friend won't be coming here to do the work for me until I have all the parts ready to go. Are you able to help? Is there a way to post a picture or a diagram to point to where I can find the casting number? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:07 PM

Sorry, I'm on the road and don't have my shop manuals w/ me to find the location of the head casting number.

good luck

Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JP1987
But shortly after I did, I realized that the description didn't say whether this head fits a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder car.
No such a thing as a V6 with an F22B2 designation. As double confirmation; looking at the picture it is clearly for a 4-Cylinder engine.

Here are some pictures of a V6 head: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ACCORD...caf733&vxp=mtr

Old 04-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The ebay seller was not stating that F22B2 is 6 cylinder. He was saying that the cylinder head that he has is F22B2 with casting number POB. He asked me what my cylinder head casting number is and I don't know where to look for it. He said there are a few versions for a 4 cylinder 1996 and he needed to make sure that what I have is POB. I just don't know where to look for this number. Does anyone know exactly where I need to look? Also, I am female, so you need to tell me in very simple terms, I have very limited knowledge of basic parts. I downloaded a manual for this car, and did a search of the document for casting number on cylinder head and there is nothing. I looked through the entire section for the cylinder head and I don't see anything about the casting number.

Quick Reply: Lost power while driving