Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

New To Everything Asking some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:03 AM
DDRaptor
Unregistered
Default New To Everything Asking some questions

I just gotten a 1988 Honda Accord with Carburator.

I'm not going to make it go , I want it to go longer.

I want some input on what parts and other things to do make it go 30+mpg if even possible.

Q1: Would the BG services increase effciency and how much do they go for?

I have my list to try to increase effciency:
Clean battery Terminals
New Spark Plugs
Check Tire pressure
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Coolant
Oil Change (5W-30)
Transsimisson Fluid
Catlitic Converter ??

Thanks guys in advance.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:19 AM
Default RE: New To Everything Asking some questions

in my opinion all those things will make a difference, what u basically listed is a tune up, also change the oxygen sensor, do your brakes, etc etc. always keep doing maintenance on it...

Old 04-26-2006, 02:20 AM

make sure u get good brand in air filters, such as k and n, oil filter make it a k and n too, your spark plugs make em NGK IRIDIUMS..

Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 AM
DDRaptor
Unregistered

thanks for the quick reply so oil and air filter from k&n. do you recommend any brands for the other parts.

Oh do you have any info on the BG services.
*edit*Hey is there any type of aftermarket computer i can use to calculate MPG?

Thanks agin.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:58 AM

calculate MPG by using ur mind O_o all u have to do is always run from full to fumes and know how many gallons of gas u have in the tank and reset ur trip odometer...

Old 04-26-2006, 03:12 AM
DDRaptor
Unregistered

I guess i would have to fill it and a plastic gallon lol. and then watch for like a month to see how long it goes cause i don't drive much since i live in new york city. I'm just asking because i have seen some cars with MPG indicators built it.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 AM

Yeah, that's usually another thing that they throw onto the navi system of some cars to kinda fill in space. It makes life easier and everything, but reseting the trip odometer and doing the math does the same thing. The cars with the meter just do the averaging for you. I'd definitely invest that money into your tune ups instead.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

someone sugested IRDIUM PLUGS.......stick with regular NGK plugs BPR5EY-11., also i would replace plug wires, cap and rotor use all Honda factory parts, also there are 2 fuel filters
the main 1 located by the tank
the auxl filter, located under the hood, in the fuel line to carbur .

Old 04-27-2006, 01:40 AM
DDRaptor
Unregistered

ok cool stick to regulars.

Yeah i read the manual and some of the service manual I downloaded. I know there's 2 filters there is also a disclamer that says it's under pressure and should be replaced by a technician, i'm far from a mechanic I am a full Do it yourselfer but i'm a car newbie.

Um about that I have seen Plug and wires set on ebay but they are irdiums and i can't find any for my year (88) .

Hey i have read my manual 3-4 times fully i have question about brands of Fluids i should buy.

it recommends 5W-30 the capcity is 3.7 quarts so that's 4 bottles so i want to know what brand is the best for economy.
and I would need a Jack to get to the drain bolt, and a pan to hold the old and I think i need a special wrench to take the oil filter off right.

Thanks in advance i know i must be another annyoning newbie, but I really appreciate your help.

Oh and btw what a Cap and rotor??

Old 04-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

to release fuel pressure , just remove the gas cap, replace the filters then reinstall the cap........
as for oil.. if you reside in a cooooold winter climate use 5w-20 in winter and 10w-30 in summer ,,
warm winter climate use 10w-30 all year araound...as for the brand , no matter, just make sure to replace it every 3000 miles , oil and filter

cap and rotor is the distributor cap and rotor, cap is where the spark plug wires plug into... the rotor you will find by removing the ( 2- 3 ) little screws that hold the cap on , lift the cap off and replace the rotor..
for your year car forget about platinum or irdium plugs just use stock ngk plugs ,NGK BPR5EY-11..and use Honda plug wires

the oil drain bolt assuming it is like the original is a 17mm head bolt ,, you will need a 17mm wrench ,, Sears craftman box wrench works well ..anytime you do an oil change make sure to replace the oil plug washer ..get it at dealer, 20-40 cents

Quick Reply: New To Everything Asking some questions