Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

is it a normal flat batt??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Default is it a normal flat batt??

hey guys, i have a strange accord that i dunno what happened...

this afternoon at about 3 i drove my car for about 1 hour with 15 mins stop

after that, when i was about to drive the car again, it just wont start.
after about leaving the car with the bonnet up for about 30 mins, it started again...
but then it can only run for about 15 mins and it just stopped for no reason and won't start again no matter what i did...
then my friend jump start the batt and it start normal again...

is it normal for an accord to just have a flat batt with no reason at all and in less than 30 mins even after i drove the car for about 45 mins

and once i managed to start it again... is it normal for the batt to just go dead again in no time at all...

when i check the water in the batt, it still full and nothing wrong...

please advise
thanx guys

Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Default RE: is it a normal flat batt??

Sounds like it could be the alternator. Or the battery is just ot holding a charge. That happens every now and then. I would advise to have the battery tested. Here in the US places like AutoZone or Advance will test the battery for free.
If the battery tests OK, they need to test the alternator.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

First, make sure the battery cables are clean & tight. Same thing for the OTHER end of each battery cable. Also can be loose/dirty/corroded where the wire itself is crimped into the end-connectors.

Then, got a voltmeter??
Battery voltage while the engine is running should be a little above14v. Turn on everything you can find (headlights, fans, defroster, music, etc.) With the engine idling, it should still be above 14v. If not, the alternator is not charging.

Then park the car. Battery voltage should be 13v or so. After being parked overnight it should still be about the same.

It's possiblefor a battery gobad very quickly. I had one that wasnormal until one day I came out from a restaurant & the car wouldn't start.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

First, make sure the battery cables are clean & tight. Same thing for the OTHER end of each battery cable. Also can be loose/dirty/corroded where the wire itself is crimped into the end-connectors.
I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Good call JB. The same thing happened to my 95. All that was wrong was a loose/dirty battery connection. But then again, the same thing happened another time and it was a dead battery. haha

Old 01-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It could also be a bad ignition switch. This could have the same effect as a loose terminal. The car dying after a 15 minute run leads me to believe this.

I'm refering to the electrical portion only. The electrical part can go bad even though the lock cylinder works fine. Lots of people have rebuilt this.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 AM

@jimblake: what if when the car was off, the voltmeter says about 18+V and as soon as i put both the needles to the terminals, they give a little bit of sparks and the meter cable gets very warm...
i know that is a problem...
but it is A BIG problem?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

That could be a big problem with the METER.Did youset it to measure DC Volts? ormilliVolts?? Plug the cables into the meter in the proper places??

What kind of meter & please describe all the picky little details of how you were using it.

What's your background or experience with electrical measurements?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM

when i bought it, i asked the guys for a voltmeter. and they give me a multimeter and they said that it will do the samething
buti dont think it did.
thats why i'm going back and getting a proper voltmeter
and see how then

Old 02-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

A multimeter is just a voltmeter, ammeter & ohm-meter built in together. Multimeter is better, & a 'pure' voltmeter is probably a lot more difficult to find.

All you gotta do is learn the proper settings & where to plug in the cables in order to use it as a voltmeter.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 PM

i just went to 2 auto shops and a service shop and they checked the battery and they said that the Batt is doing fine and the charging systems are doing fine as well...
and i have also cleaned the terminals (wiping them with white spirits & scraping them). i was thinking of changing the cables. but i dont think that will make any difference...

any other things that can be done to check the faults?

Quick Reply: is it a normal flat batt??