Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Default oil change

does anyone here have a 08 accord that actually changed the oil the first time according to the maintenence minder.i have over 4,000 miles on my car and its at 60% im not letting it go any longer...................................thanks

Old 10-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Default RE: oil change

I have an 08, and I don't follow that gauge either (first oil change at 2000, which I put off; second at 5000). I can't even figure out how that thing works, since it didn't budge at all the first time I changed my oil but then shot back up to 100% the second time, when I accidentally used 5w-30 instead of 5w-20.

Until I figure out exactly how that gauge works, I'm not going to trust it. Heck, I have my Accord now because my last car had its transmission sludge up due to infrequent oil changes (and dealer negligence).

Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 AM

i believe its is rmeassuring ur engine hours, not millage, and if it ruins the tranny blame/sue Honda for installing an inaccurate gauge, ive been told the new ones(my mom has an 08 v6) do not go through oil very quickly at all by the dealer

Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

It uses more than just miles or engine-hours. Number of starts, how often you abuse the gas pedal, engine temperatures, all kinds of stuff like that.

Just changed oil on our 2007 Civic, just over 6,000 miles on the oil, with 10% on the oil minder. Sent a sample in to Blackstone; when I get results Ill post something about how well the Honda maintenance-minder works.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 PM

I do not know. I still do not trust the dealer, and I feel more comfortable changing my oil more often, anyway. Even if I could sue Honda if my car were to break, I would rather not have to deal with not having my car for a while.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

IMO, the oil minder is ok to use after the first 2 oil changes ..... I would definitely NOT do extended intervals during the initial break-in period where extra particulates are produced.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

My recent oil change was not the first one for the car...

But Ive heard (via BITOG) that Honda does NOT want you to remove the break-in oil too soon.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What do they consider too soon? I'm talking about extended intervals .... I'd probably do oil changes at 2000 mile intervals for the first 3 if I ever got a new car ..... haven't had that problem yet.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

My recent oil change was not the first one for the car...

But Ive heard (via BITOG) that Honda does NOT want you to remove the break-in oil too soon.
Any idea why? I cannot imagine there would be any benefits to keeping that oil.

Plus, even though it was early for it, I also changed my transmission fluid (of course I still used Honda ATF-Z1, as specified). Better safe than sorry.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Septimus Prime

Any idea why? I cannot imagine there would be any benefits to keeping that oil.
Dont know the details so Im only guessing...
You want a much different cocktail of additives for the period while rings & cylinders are wearing into each other. Machined surface finishes are much different today w.r.t. the size & amount of particulates from the wear. That stuff in the oil is part of the mechanism by which the parts wear into proper fit with each other.

Quick Reply: oil change