Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Default Oil Change

Had a question about the oil change at the dealer. Does anyone know what oil is usually used at the Honda dealer? I saw a coupon that says 5 quarts of Honda formulated Mobil oil is used. I know that the filter is going to be the traditional blue. My 1999 Accord EX has almost always gone to the dealer. The last couple of times I have taken it to this local shop that put Kendall Oil in it, and I told them to use my STP filter.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Default RE: Oil Change

Almost every dealer is different on the type of oil they use. The dealer Honda dealer I worked at used Castrol GTX, but would give you what ever oil you requested at an extra charge.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:26 AM

Do your own oil changes, they are pretty easy and you can save a couple of bucks.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:06 AM

yeah, i have had a friend do my oil change but he had trouble with the little washer. but, it definitely feels like its worth it cause you know what oil is in it!

Old 03-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you change your own oil, be sure to find out if any local auto parts places will take your oil for free. Unfortunately you are expected to dispose of the oil, and its cost money to do that unless you know someone who will take it off your hands

Old 03-09-2006, 02:21 AM

autozone takes it for free.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:38 AM

If you are really concerned about what oil type and filter type is used on your car, then I'd suggest buying your own oil that you prefer that is better quality, like mobil 1 or castrol, and buy a better filter like k&n or fram and take these two things to a local shop and ask them to perform the oil change using your own components. it will be cheaper for you and you'll know what you're getting. also my suggestion is stop going to the dealer and spending more then a $100 on an oil change. go to a small shop and get it done for no more then $25 bucks. if you bring your own stuff it will be even cheaper. last time i brough oil and oil filter to my local shop it cost me only $10 bucks to get it changed.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:18 PM

i have never spent a lot of money for an oil change at the dealer. also, it is always good to get genuine honda parts for your car. oem is the best! yeah, plus the dealers have techs who are trained for working on hondas!

Old 03-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

oem meets oem specs.....there are plenty of aftermarket that exceeds it....any honda dealer you go to better be using honda oil and honda filters. its not a honda dealer if it doesnt. just dont get you oil changed at damn jiffy lube. they use bulk penzoil which has been certified as the ****tiest oil you can possibly use. my brother has been using that **** in his lincoln and now it has about 60k on it and the valve seals are bad and the rings are shot, that thing is a damn smoke bomb.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM

yeah honda filters are good. the honda power steering fluid i put in once worked really well. it got rid of the sluggish steering wheel, the fluid was low. you are right it is not a honda dealer if they don't have genuine honda parts!

Quick Reply: Oil Change