Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

OVEHEATING

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:15 PM
tio2honda
Unregistered
Default OVEHEATING

My 92 accord is overheating and will not stop so far I have replaced the following, water pump, headgasket, thermostat, all hoses, new raidator, all three thremo switches (two for fans and one going to ecu) and yet it still overheats I haveburped the air Out when filling with coolant like Im supposed to. I have noticed the fan for the raditor never comes on and the one for the condensor only runs with ac on. I have performed all checks and fan and relay is good. But when i jump out the thermoswitch for the raditor fan with key in acc mode it runs but with key in ignition mode or with car running it doesnt. Have a 93 next to it that runs perfectly and all my results are the same on it so I'm at my wits end here need you guys help.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OVEHEATING

Which fan switch did you jumper? Sounds like the wrong one. The fan switch at the UPPER radiator hose is only active after you turn off the engine.

Follow the LOWER radiator hose back to the thermostat housing. There's a fan switch back there, which is the active one when the engine is running.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:54 AM
tio2honda
Unregistered

OK WHEN I JUMP OUT THAT ONE ONLY THE CONDENSOR FAN RUNS (THE ONE ON DRIVERS SIDE) IS THAT NORMAL AND IF IT IS WHY DOES THE OTHER ONE NEVER COME ON UNLESS I JUMP IT OUT AT THE RELAY? I READ IN THIS FORUM SOMETHING ABOUT A FAN TIMER SWITCH COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM AND WHERE THE _ _LL IS THAT THING?

Old 04-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure both fans are supposed to come on when you jumper that. Someone with a '92 wiring drawing speak up???

Can you run power directly from the battery to check whether the other side fan motor is OK? Could be a burned-out motor. Otherwise a bad relay for that fan - I think each fan has its own relay.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:03 AM
tio2honda
Unregistered

I have found my problem It seems that all thremo switchs and relays as well as ignition and several other things all tie into the fan timmer switch and that was the problem. Mine was locked up in the off position for the fans, there fore only the condensor fan would run but only when the ac was on. Simply replaced switch and working fine now also the fan timer switch is located on drivers side under dash between door and steering wheel and above silver box. only two bolts hold it in but have to remove silver box first, timer box is black with 8 wires going to it. Hope this helps someone to not want to burn thier accordlike I wanted to.haha