Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Are performance chips worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Default Are performance chips worth it?

I've been looking at some performance chips for my 1996 accord lx and was wondering if they are really worth $300+. One in particular I was looking at was the venom performance chip on http://www.autoanything.com/performa...0A2046129.aspx. Does anyone know anything about this company or the effectiveness of this chip? It says it can increase your horsepower by up to 25% which I don't really believe but a 15% increase in overall horsepower is still good. Im sort of new to the performance chip name brands so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Default RE: Are performance chips worth it?

The Venom was discussed earlier on the forum. I actually posted the question. However, I have been unable to find my own thread using the search function.
The general concensus was: the Venom 400 merely tricks yourECU into thinking you are at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) all the time. I read some reviews on the product and they were mixed. About half said the product was absolutely aweful and some thought it was ok. I would not buy one. The JET chip seems to be ok (from a review from a guy who had it done to his 98 Accord), but you have to use premium gas so I'm not gonna do that either.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Ive heard good things about the Hondadata ecu. A bit pricy, and you cant DIY but they have authorized dealers so that has to be a good thing. Regardless its the brand that im gonna go with after i get my headers and high flo cat installed.

www.hondata.com

Old 07-12-2007, 02:12 PM

For Hondata you have to have a manual transmission and you have to convert to OBDI computer if your car has an OBDII.
If your 4cyl manual transmission Accord was made after 1996, you have an OBDII computer. They don't offer anything for 2003 and newer either: http://www.hondata.com/wizard/wiz_accord_96.html
OBDII to OBDI is not easy to do yourself and your car will not pass emissions if your state tests for that sort of thing. Mississippi doesn't[:'(]

Old 07-12-2007, 06:26 PM

In that case i take everything i said back. Thanks 00AccordLX5spd for correcting me before i made a costly mistake.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 PM

If you want a really nice super high end ecu system (overkill if you don't have a TON of stuff done to your car) then get a Pectel, they use them in everything from Formula to WRC...

http://www.pectel.co.uk/products.cfm

Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Fenix

In that case i take everything i said back. Thanks 00AccordLX5spd for correcting me before i made a costly mistake.
No problem man I was looking into Hondata myself until I found out how big of a pain it is to switchfrom OBDIIto OBDI. I saw a "How To" on another forum. You don't only need the new ECU, you need other parts from an OBDI car such as the intake manifold. Here's a link in case you want to take a look: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s...highlight=OBDI
Yikes!!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you really want to try it you still can use obd2 and rechip that...... its just a lot of work to get a programmer ready to burn the type of chip the obd2 has, not to mention 25bucks or so per

Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 PM

I have also heard that the OBDII system tends to "re-learn" its original factory settings and in essence "de-tune" itself with some "ECU upgrading systems."
I don't know how accurate this is, but I have read it before on other forums.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:30 PM

MSD makes a good computer/ignition setup.... I'm not certain if they make them for honda's but if so they are a great brand as well...

Quick Reply: Are performance chips worth it?