Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

this is pissing me off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Default this is pissing me off!

I've been trying to change my oil for a few days. The bolt under the engine won't budge, even when it's cold. Can I take out the engine oil filter to let the engine oil get out?

Old 06-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Default RE: this is pissing me off!

No, it won't drain out. Try a pipe wrench (large) on the bolt or a cheater bar on the socket.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:32 PM

Be careful ! - when underneath the vehicle it is easy to turn the drain bolt the wrong direction. Many get stripped out this way.

Standard size socket is 17 MM.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:51 PM

The drain for the engine for me to change the oil goes lefty loosey righty tighty just like most bolts do right?

Old 06-03-2005, 12:42 AM

you sure your looking at the right bolt?? it happens.... the bolt is a regular bolt - use more torque ie longer wrench handle.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:46 AM

If I can't test it about a million times tonight by taking the oil out drop by drop then I will take to my mechanic tomorrow. This is such a pain in the tookis. I hope he puts in a new bolt so I can change it myself in the future.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:05 PM

Direction problem.

If you crawl under the vehicle from the front - then the drain bolt threads are facing you instead of facing away. If this is new to you, it is easy to get confused when you attempt to loosen the bolt, (You are really tightening it).

Consequently - if you crawl under from behind the front wheel - you should be O.K.

Once you are SURE you are turning the right direction to loosen it , MANY times it helps to "POP" the ratchet handle with the bottom of your fist to help break the bolt loose, (kind of like what a impact wrench does).

Should you strip the bolt - there are new, self tapping ones, in lots of sizes, available at most auto stores

Old 06-06-2005, 02:26 PM

Use vice-grips on the nut and bang it with a hammer. That always works....but be careful not to take the bolt head off. And i would go to the dealer and get another drain plug and replace it. Maybe put some anti-seize on the threads this time.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:32 PM

Ok I finally got that little SOB undone. I think that I might need to clean out my egr port now. I go to hondaautomotiveparts.com and they don't list the "egr port" as a part. What would be another name for the egr port?
-Thanks.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:22 PM

Why are oyu doing this again? its seems liek its not worth the hassle of doing it all

Quick Reply: this is pissing me off!